Will cory cats eat shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

b_evans06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Pocahontas, Ar
Awhile back I bought 6 ghost shrimp and put them in my tank. I noticed them in random spots for a couple days and each day I would see a couple less than the day before. Well they have been gone now for a awhile and I have been wondering what ate them. I have julii cory cats and gold barbs and black ruby barbs. Do you think the corys ate them?

kuhliloach

NannerPuss
Dec 4, 2006
no they will not eat ghost shrimp, corries are very friendly and there mouths are too small to really eat any living creatures

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Newly hatched fry that cant swim well, sure - Perhaps the larval/plankton-like stages of shrimp (or the shrimplets in the case of RCS and Ghosts), maybe.

BUT a Cory hunting down prey...I would need proof of that!

Their real-world life consists of them foraging on or just beneath the soft substrate using it's whiskers as 'feelers' for small invertabrates such as nymphs and worms, which they do VERY well at finding and eatting!

A Cory will never, ever attack or pursue anything for food beyond his head twitch to catch that worm he felt. Even if a worm swims away from right under them they leave them for another day and will not pursue

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store