15 gallon paludarium build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I started my paludarium build last night, building the base shelf and applying the first section of slate. here are some pics.

the shelf sits on several square tabs, and will also have a driftwood support at roughly 45º to the back of the tank, against the left wall. the support comes up through the cut in part in the front. the screen cone will be filled with gravel and soil, and the space between the driftwood and cone will be filled with thin branches and java moss. the shelf bottom will define the water line, and above water on the shelf will be a mount of soil and stone covered in moss and plants, possibly a small bonsai or dwarf bamboo. in the end it will be a somewhat solid planted mass, that can be lifted right out.

the extra pile of stone in the cone is just for weight...

KICX2077.JPG KICX2079.JPG KICX2081.JPG

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Good idea. Looking good.

How are the suction cups holding up?

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
without water or weight, they seem to fall off on their own avery few days... I'm not sure how they'll do with water and the shelf weight....

I'm guessing they'll stay stuck longer, but not sure. I am thinking if suction doesn't work I can still opt for magnets or for small amounts of silicone to hold the tabs in place(worst case scenario)... but I hope they'll work out.

I added more stone last night. pics later on.

b_evans06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Pocahontas, Ar
I know the suction cups for my co2 diffuser do not hold very well. Sometimes when I fill it up they will come unstuck and the diffuser will go to the top.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
keeps going and going.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
construction of the hanging island continues, and may be close to a finish. The more I stare at it, the more I think it's done. I'd like to remake the hanging tabs that are mounted to the suction cups, to be more of a straight bar than individual tabs. I think this will hold the weight more evenly, and allow me to easily switch to magnets if I decide to do so.

should I plant it?

:)

KICX2245.JPG KICX2246.JPG KICX2250.JPG KICX2255.JPG

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
Maybe go ahead and put water in the tank and some weight in the planter, then let it sit a couple days to see if the suction cups hold. That way, if they fail, you won't have a mess of soil in the tank.

It's looking really great! I really like the driftwood and twigs on the side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store