False Percula Clownfishes hosting a anemone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Batmanjay28

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Oregon
False Percula Clownfishes hosting a anemone? I have a false percula clown and he will not go into my anemone or my branching frogspawn coral. I was figuring that he would just jump right in or at least turn to get close to one of them, but he doesn't. Any suggestions? thanks

ricsreef

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Louisville,Ky
Thats one of those "maybe,maybe not" deals,Some will host,some wo'nt.How long have you had the false percula?Sometimes it just takes awhile for them to hook up with something.

Batmanjay28

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Oregon
I've only have had the clown for 4 days. And the anemone is a Purple Condylactis I think. But I will give it sometime.

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
I have read that false clowns that are tank raised very rarely host because they have lost the need to. When out in the ocean percs host as a form of protection, but in a tank environment after generations of being in a tank environment they lose that instinct. That is just what I have read.

IME, this holds true, I have only had 2 tank raised percs host, ever, and that was in a carpet anemone I tried getting years ago, stupid, boy did I learn my lesson, and so did my wallet! To steal from GRINS tag, I will never buy an anemone again, I will never buy an anemone again!

Anyways, good luck with idea of them hosting!

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
To add to the above post from gomrjoe but I have read the Condi's are not a hosting anemonie. I found that out the hard way with my last tank. That is not to say that you can't, its just to say I have since read that it is not likely etc etc etc.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
you can always tempt the clown to go through / into the nem by a trail of food from a turkey baster....doing this afew times, and getting the clown to get stung will get it used to the nem, and hopefully give you more chance of it accepting the nem...

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store