why is my anemone not eating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

counrygirl

AC Members
Feb 12, 2007
my tank has running about 6 months and I have had the anemone for about 3months and now it won't eat and stays closed a lot and when it is open it's not fully open have checked the water and everthing ( nitrates 0,nitries 0,ammonia 0,ph 8.2 ,salinaty 1.21)is good, I have t5's for light's, I have been feeding it shrimp form the store cut very small pieices , at night when the lights are out I look in the tank with a light and it is opened a lot more but can't get it to eat I tryed to feed it and it just pushes it out what should I do :confused:

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
1.21 is low on the salinity. That's hyposalinity, in fact. I'd try to slowly aise that up to 1.025ish...just not too quickly.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I'm not an anemone expert by any means, but has it changed colors? Also can I ask how are you keeping your nitrates at 0??? I don't think that is related to your problem, but it my answer what I need to do for my own problem.

counrygirl

AC Members
Feb 12, 2007
I will raise the salinity to 1.25 and what else can I feed the anemone I going the the lfs tomorrow and get some silverside will that be good to feed I have read on here and what else can I feed it and yes it seems to be clear sometimes and sometime it is white which it what color it was when I got it I read on here that when they are clear that they are starving ( not sure)that is why I'm trying to feed it and clown-lover I'm not sure what I'm doing right as far nitrates goes that has not been an isue with my main tank now when I qt my fish (for some reason)yes my nitrates and nitrites go up a lot

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Here is a good place to read on their nutrition: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anemonefdgfaqs.htm
This was a quote that caught my eye when I read that a couple of months ago..

I fed the tank with Marine Snow the other day, but I don't know if I should be feeding the anemone shrimp right now or not...
<This product... is a sham... it's the "Emperor's new fish food"... of exceedingly little to no nutritive value>
<I do: read: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/index.htm scroll down to the area re Anemones... go over their systems, feeding... Bob Fenner>>

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
An anemone has a symbiotic relationship with algae, just like corals, and that's what give them their color. If they bleach (turn white), it's usually related to the algae, and they've lost it somehow, be it from too little light, or some stressful situation making them expel it.

Silversides are great, and my anemone seems to REALLY like them. However, my nem will also take pieces of flake food if they touch the tentacles, as well as salmon or whatever else comes near it that isn't a clownfish. :)

Good luck, and keep us posted!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store