Power Backups and Safety Plans

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
What do you have hooked up or on hand in the case of an electrical outage? Both short term and more than a few hours? Living in NC we do have storms late summer and fall due to hurricane season and I know I'm not prepared.

The ONLY safety precaution I have electrical wise is a GFI outlet and I know that isn't going to help in the least with the outage possibility.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Fortunately I work construction and we have a couple of generators and I could pinch one in a hurry if I had to.. I do a lot of fusion splicing with fiber optic cable etc, and spend quite a bit of time in street man holes upgrading telco systems, city infrastructure etc. so we have to have this type of stuff around just to run things like my splicers, the air movement equipment etc.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I've been relying on a 750w power inverter and 3 12V batteries we use for our boat. I used it just a few weeks ago during a multi-hour power outage and it worked fine, running the 3 MJs in our tank and our "return pump" (more of a large submersible powerhead than a true return pump). I only needed to use 1 battery and during that time, and it didn't drain down enough to set-off the "low battery" alarm.

If we were to have a multi-day power outage again similar to when the ice storm rolled through a few years back and we were without power for 4 days, I'm not exactly sure what we'd do. Realistically, a generator would be the most cost effective upgrade for a multi-day outage, but we just haven't convinced ourselves to buy one yet.

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm been trying to come up with a plan that involves a few dimensions. Maybe battery operated pumps for short term. I've heard some have them modded to their UPC to come on if they are away when the power goes out.

I am afraid to hook everything up to a UPC because it might wear out quickly with the MHs coming on. Is that unfounded?

My parents have a small Honda generator and are planning on getting a bigger one..maybe I can beg, borrow, be a masterful daughter and get them to lend me the Honda in a pinch.

ricsreef

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Louisville,Ky
Funny you posted this today,I am running on gen. right now.LOL.I lose power alot.
My tanks and the computer have power,tanks came first.I use a portable honda 5kw.A little expensive but they work good and are fairly quiet.

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Yes, my parents have Honda generators. They are great, just not sure I can wrestle theirs away until they get a bigger one. =)

So far I think my plan is to use 2 automated battery powered air pumps. A UPS for the heater and then beg and bat my eyelashes at the parents for the generator. ;-)

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
You could get a UPS at CompUSA for $100 that would keep powerheads and a heater running for awhile. Ehiem prides itself in low-voltage equipment and high quality equipment. You might check them out.
You don't really need to worry about keeping your lights on if its just going to be out for a day or so, your corals will live. The only thing that's really important is to keep the tank temperature right and the water moving.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Funny you posted this today,I am running on gen. right now.LOL.I lose power alot.
My tanks and the computer have power,tanks came first.I use a portable honda 5kw.A little expensive but they work good and are fairly quiet.

I am not sure what wattage we have, but we have some Hondas are work as well.. They are still easy enough to lug around.. ugggg... (only get a small hernia :lipssealedsmilie: ), but luckily enough I haven't lost power. Nice thing about being in a large generation state, we get the power first ... :dance:

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
You could get a UPS at CompUSA for $100 that would keep powerheads and a heater running for awhile. Ehiem prides itself in low-voltage equipment and high quality equipment. You might check them out.
You don't really need to worry about keeping your lights on if its just going to be out for a day or so, your corals will live. The only thing that's really important is to keep the tank temperature right and the water moving.
i agree to a point, but i would hesitate to plug the heater into a UPS. Heaters use a lot more energy than powerheads/return pumps, and i believe it is more crucial to keep tank water movement in times of a power outage. You could run the heaters on one, but for a couple of hours only at best. Youd be better off running your powerheads and sump return pumps, and if you could keep these pumps running.... you wouldnt need to worry about airstones. The powerheads and pumps will run for a good ammount of time, and these offer much more surface agitation and oxygen then any airstone ever could. But i would say that the airstone battery operated things arent a horrible idea, especially if the UPS dies.

Just my thoughts,
Jay

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store