beginner corals

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishster

AC Members
Jun 12, 2001
Calgary, AB
Could I get you guys(and girls) to suggest some easy corals? My tank is 55g just finished cycling, has 4 watts/gallon of PC lighting. The tank also has no fish or other invertabrates, ecxept a lace "coral" and tube worm that came with the live rock.

Thanks

FishBait

triggerhappy
Nov 27, 2002
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
Well of course the mushrooms (Corallimorpha) and many leathers such as Colt corals (Claudiella) and tree leathers (Sinularia). Toadstools (Sarcophyton) are also good. I have seen all of these do quite well in lower light tanks. Except for the shrooms, you may even want to get some golden pearls to feed these guys as well. It really makes a difference.

Most softies are very good starter corals:

Finger Leather

Devils Hand

Cabbage leather

Toadstool leather

Colt coral

Kenya tree coral

Most tree corals will be fine

Mushroom corals

Zooanthid Polyps

Yellow Polyps

Green Star Polyps

Brown Star Polyps

Button Polyps

Wood Polyps/Clove Polyps

Xenia (Red sea, etc)
---------------------
Hard corals (I would wait until your tank is about 4-6 months old, before adding these, JMO):

doughnuts/Meat Coral

Open Brain

Closed Brain

Trumpit coral

Candycane coral

Frogspawn (can be agresive)

Bubble Coral/pearl bubble

Torch (can be agressive)

Plate (Wait until your tank is mature; can be agressive)

All those would be just my personal opinions. I would stay away from:

Caulifower Coral (soft- non photosynthic)
Sun Polyps
Goriopora (Flower Pot) coral
Anemones
SPS corals; acopora, hydrnophora, etc

PH =)

aquaman67

AC Members
Sep 29, 2000
Erin, TN
You can do a little of both, but just don't over do it. Give your system time to recover and adjust before adding more. Go slow!

Depends really on the species of fish, and species of coral. I could give you a guidline to what can be added first, but note it will not be exact.

As far as fish goes, it really depends on which species they are. Damels- Extremely hardy fish, cheap, full of colour, most are extremely agressive. Damsels are resistant to most aquarium diseases, and able to stand quite a wide range of water conditions. With this said, that is why they are commonly used as cycling or 'suicide' fish, which could be added to the tank in the first week. Others, including Anthias, Tangs, angels, etc. Are usually much more sensitive to water conditions than, lets say damsels. These do much better added last, or when the tank is mature, and all levels are where they should be.

IMO, it's not a matter of adding fish first, then coral, but rather adding what is right for your tank at that time. So, I would start out with some hardy fish (Not damsels. While they are hardy, they can, and are extremely agresive. With the execption of Green/Blue chromis) such as:

Gramma's/Basslets:

1. Black Cap Basslet (Gramma melacara)

2. Macneill's Assessor Basslet (Assessor macneilli)

3. Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)

Blennys/Gobies:

1. Bicolor Blenny (Ecsenius bicolor)

2. Black Sailfin Blenny (Atrosalarias fuscus)

3. Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas)

4. Lawnmower Blenny (Salarias fasciatus)

5. Bar Goby (Ptereleotris zebra)

6. Firefish Goby (Nemateleotris magnifica)

7. Firefish, Helfrichi (Nemateleotris helfrichi) <--EXPENSIVE!

8. Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora)

Cardinal Fish:

1. Banggai Cardinal (Pterapogon kauderni)

2. Spotted Cardinalfish (Sphaeramia nematoptera)

These tend to be very hardy fish, and can be added to your aquarium after your tank has fully cycled, and perferably over 2-3 months old.

Now, corals is a totally different issue. Many, such as Acopora, a Small Polyp Stoney (SPS) coral, usually does best if added to a mature tank, better 1 year or older. Others, such as Yellow Polyps, will do fine being added after the tank has cycled. Although, it really depends on the type of corals you wish to keep.

PH =)

Ananda

AC Members
Feb 15, 2002
Chicagoland
Visit site
Heard Eric Borneman talk about feeding corals at a Chicago Marine Aquarium Society meeting....

Make sure you feed your corals. Soft corals like phytoplankton; for the hard corals, Golden Pearls (the smallest size) is good. Baby brine shrimp are good. Baby or adult brine shrimp can be used to trigger a feeding reaction.

From my own experience, the cabbage aka flower leather coral, sinularia dura, is a fast-growing coral -- if you feed it! My frag has about tripled in size in six months. I've been feeding it phytoplankton 2 or 3 times a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store