Missing Plecos?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
I recently added 4 bristlenose plecos to my 150G tank. They're the first plecos I've ever owned, and I realize they're nocturnal, so I don't expect to see them around much with the lights on, but do you have any suggestions for making sure they're still around? They're in a tank with a ton of rock structures, and I've seen them hiding in there, but 3 of them look almost identical...so there really only 1 that is unique enough that I know he's there if I see him.

Should I try some cucumber/zucchini after lights out and just watch? Any other suggestions for making sure they're all present and accounted for?

Thanks.

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
try to put a red filter over your lights and keep them on for a while. or you could get a flashlight and put a red filter on that. then when you put your food in you can check with the light to see if they're still around. hope they all are!!

BK

AC Members
Apr 29, 2001
WI
members.aol.com
i have found that the red light doesn't always work depending on what your using to make it red (plastic, glass, red aquarium light bulbs). i wouldn't worry to much if you have just added them. they are probably just getting used to their new home.

Good luck.

:) At least you don't have to find a lost banjo cat :)

koolkatzfish

AC Members
Dec 7, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
Once they get used to their surroundings, they will be out and about. Most bristlenoses aren't shy and aren't that heavily nocturnal. Make sure they have plenty of caves so they feel safe and you'll see them. They are pretty hardy, so don't worry too much about them dying. How big are they. The smaller ones tend to hide a little more, but come out more as they get bigger. I have a pair in my community tank and they breed regularly. I move the babies just as they are becoming free swimming, and sometimes a baby will escape. I usually don't find it for a month or more since they can hide really well when they want to. toss in a couple hikari algae wafers and I bet they come a running. Mine love them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store