Upgrade to MH Lighting log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
I am starting a new thread because we are all about improving our systems and saving $$$ at the same time!

I have read through a couple of threads (and participated in some) surrounding the idea of low cost lighting upgrades, which I am in the middle of, so it is time to start a mini log.

I have acquired a dual 175 Watt MH ballast, brand new from EBay, cost $76.00.
I have purchased two 175 Watt MH bulbs E39 Mogul from Ebay, cost $25.00 total for both.

I still need to purchase lamp cord extensions, an extension power cord, mounting brackets, mogul sockets, and a reflector.

I have priced the entire project (except reflector), shipping and all to be: $180.00 a definite bargain when it comes to MH. I did my homework on the sellers, and as best as I could tell everyone was legit. I have never been an Ebay fan, but I am of course an SW aquarium fan, my 100 gallon is my pride and joy. So of course I want to see it improved and flourish. If through this research and DYI project and log we can learn and find reputable equipment dealers that are selling off brand products that do the same job for less $$$ then I believe we could be accomplishing something, and I would consider it a success.

I plan to have the project completed in the next two or three weeks. As I go along I will post to this log any of my findings.

Here are my specs:

Tank description:
100 gallon tank
2.6 wpg pc lighting * soon to go to 6.1!
35 gal wet/dry/sump
Protein Skimmer
UV Sterilizer (off)
Chiller
1 yellow tang
1 pac blue tang
4 reef chromis
1 TR perc clown
2 lyretail chromis
2 spotted cardinal fish
1 engineer goby
1 firefish
current cleanup crew: 25 turbos, 25 blue leg hermits
Inverts: star polyp, yellow colony polyp, leather coral, pulsing Xenia, 1 sand star

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
I am going with (2) 175W 10k bulbs for the first go around. I have 4 65W PC bulbs now, 2 are 420nm Actinic and the other 2 are daylight bulbs. So I think the 10k are a happy medium. I was going to get a 14k and a 10k, but then changed my mind at the last minute. 10k seems to be a good all around bulb and from reading they can stand by themselves if they have to, they do not need a separate actinic bulb to suppliment because they have a tint of blue already in them. So combined, I will have some actinics from my PC setup that should help with the blue.

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
Cool, I did not know that. In terms of the shimmer affect you see with MH, do the 14k take away from that at all, or is it still the same? The shimmer affect makes it seem more natural, in addition to just looking cool.

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
Here is the latest,

I have received the Ballast and should be receiving the bulbs tomorrow. I have the reflector and socket/bracket assembly.

I am waiting on a new hood for my tank, that will come in about 2 weeks. I have an acryllic tank and after further research based on comments from this thread and others I have read, it is better to be safe than sorry, so I am getting a new hood that will keep the MH bulbs a good 10-12 inches away from the lid and main brace that holds my tank together. I ordered it from the same place I ordered my tank from.

Total cost of lighting project without hood: $230.00, I found a reflective aluminum sheet at MarineDepot that will do the trick. It is plyable, but I am planning on mounting it flat to the surface of my hood, I bought 2 of them for $24.99 each.

Cost of hood: don't ask.

Overall I am on budget for the lighting only portion. Luckily I prepared my wife 2 years ago on the hood thing, that it might not do the trick, or else I would be in the dog house right now.

I will post an update again on the project this weekend after I hook up the bulbs and ballast to make sure everything works.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store