New predrilled marine tank, best way to hookup fittings?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

coolnicks

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Ok, so I've picked up a new marine tank before I've even got fish in my other one.

Its 35.5W x 13.5 H x 16 D, 130L, predrilled, 10mm glass, never been used.
Being my first predrilled tank, I need a bit of advice, currently one of the fittings is water tight, and one isn't.

When I first put it together they both leaked around the thread, they have washers inside and out, I've added thread tape, but one still leaks. However the fitting that doesn't leak also rotates slightly through both nuts - not sure if that would be good on a full tank.

I'm thinking I should silicon the nut inside the tank to the thread so it cant leak?

The other thing I'm not too sure about is where I should be taking the water "from". If I'm using it just connected to a canister filter, I shouldn't think it would be a problem if the power goes out, but if I'm using a sump (I play on making a DIY sump), how do I stop the whole tank draining out down to the level of the pipe?

The only thing I can think of here is to extend the pipe up to just below the water level.

Should I also be adding an elbow to the return to move the water around, or will internal power heads take care of this?

Basically, how would you set this up if it was your tank ;)?

You can see the right hand fitting is wet....

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
What about Plumbers Putty. It would make a gasket around the fitting and as you tighten the nut the excess will squeeze out. Trim off the excess putty. Make sure you find a non-toxic brand.

coolnicks

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
What about Plumbers Putty. It would make a gasket around the fitting and as you tighten the nut the excess will squeeze out. Trim off the excess putty. Make sure you find a non-toxic brand.
Interesting, not heard of that before. Does it set hard and “glue”, or stay soft and just seal?

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Interesting, not heard of that before. Does it set hard and “glue”, or stay soft and just seal?
Depending on the type you buy it can do both. A lot of pumbers use it for sealing around faucets, drains etc.

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
I would buy bulkhead fittings. They should work better, you put the gasket on the water side. Mine only leaked when I accidentally turned it. Also make sure not to over tighten them. You can crack the glass. Mine are hand tight.

coolnicks

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Do not use plumbers putty on aquarium fittings.
Ok, thank you.

Bulkhead fittings seal without the need for any kind of thread seal.
If I silicone, or permanently seal the nut on the inside to the thread, does this then not become [as good as] a bulkhead fitting?

how do I stop the whole tank draining out down to the level of the pipe?
Whats the best solution for this, extend the pipe up to the water level?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store