What should be inside a Canister Filter (media)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mademperor

Go Go Rock Bass!
Jul 5, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I bought a pair of used Eheim Classic Filters. They just got here.

Inside the 2213 was first this white fuzzy cotten like pad. Then its looks like almost various pieces of white gravel looking stuff. Mixed in are these little tubes that are hollow, looks like they are made of the same stuff.

Closer to the bottom there is something black looking, haven't pulled it out. The bottom is almost all full of hte hollow tubes.

Does this sound right for a Eheim 2213?

Joe32

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
The little white gravel stuff and the white tubes are Eheim media,not sure on the make upof your filter but in mine they are in two seperate baskets.
The cotton pad is used as a pre filter to take out all of the bigger bits,In mine it is a blue pad.
The black stuff could well be a carbon of some type.I dont use any carbon in my eheims but I know some people that do.
I would ditch the carbon and the white cotton pad the other media can be rinsed and re used.But unless you know the origin of it and how long it has been in there it might be advisable to renew it.

mademperor

Go Go Rock Bass!
Jul 5, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I just poured it all out...
--Top to Bottom

1. EhfiSynth (white pad) at the top
--- Looks new, plan on keeping.

2. EhfiSubstrat (white gravel looking)
--- Looks clean, was thinking of replacing 1/2 of it with EhfiSubstrat Pro ($15 for 1/2 of the filter full)

3. Black course filter (plastic)
-- Looks clean, plan on keeping

4. EhfiMech (white ceramic tubes)
-- Looks clean, plan on keeping all of it

Opinions on setup?
I was planning on either keeping everything as is, or replacing 1/2 of the Substrate (rock looking stuff)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Fine and coarse pads, lots of carbon.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
OUCH...:)

mademperor

Go Go Rock Bass!
Jul 5, 2007
Buffalo, NY
it sounds good. you may want to add some more mechanical filtration before your biological filtration to keep it from getting clogged up with debris that flows through the coarse media.
What do you suggest?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store