DIY Surface Skimmer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
I have the AquaC Remora Pro with Magdrive 3 pump. I am very impressed with this skimmer as it is very constant in its performance. Well I bought the stupid $40 box thing that AquaC says can increase skimmate by 40%, and well, it kinda sucks. So I got to thinking and came up with a very cheap affordable way to skim the surface.

So I went to Lowes and picked up a 3/4" PVC elbow and 5 feet of 3/4" PVC pipe - total cost $2.44. Came home, cut 3.25" of the pipe off, stuck the elbow on, and put it on the skimmer. There's no increase noise so far.

The mod takes less than a minute to make. There's no glue needed.

I added the "pre filter" that came with the pump to the equation to help keep critters out of it and hide it a bit. The mesh pad comes up a 1/2" around the pipe at the top.

Please note that all of the fitting sizes are for the AquaC Remora Pro with a MagDrive 3 and may not work with other pumps or skimmers

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
24 hours later my tank is 100% free of surface scum, is clearer, and I am the proud new owner of a really smelly cup of skimmate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store