Ghost Shrimp eating Fry?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Evilyeti

AC Members
Jun 21, 2007
I have a ghost shrimp in one of my fry tanks, and the fry tank seems to be losing most of my fry in this specific tank.

Is it the ghost shrimp by chance that might be picking on the fry? Or is something else wrong?

I only ask because i wasnt sure if Ghost Shrimp will do this or not.

AroForever

I eat babies...candy.
Jul 20, 2007
Up your arse
what fish species are the fry? Do you have a strong filter? Ghost shrimp probably will eat the fry, and most other shrimp will do too.

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
no doubt its the ghost shrimp. it will anything it can.. people dont really think of them as eating fish but thats because most fish are entirely too quick and strong for that to happen... but fry is another story.

lia-w

AC Members
Jun 21, 2007
Yep, it happened to me as well. I think I lost quite a few fry to the jaws of the ghost shrimp... DUN DUN DUN.

exu

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
I recently added several juvenile cherry shrimp to a 10 gallon that had one mature ghost shrimp. Later that evening I noticed the ghost shrimp was busily devouring one of the cherry shrimp. There is a chance it just died, but all the cherrys were very active and healthy.

Evilyeti

AC Members
Jun 21, 2007
Thanks for the replies. Yea i had about 10 or 12 Guppie Fry in a 5 Gallon tank. And i lost all but 3 of them.

I removed the Ghost Shrimp and put him in the big tank after i put 2 + 2 together.

I wish i could find Cherry Shrimp but none of my local shops seem to Carrie them. Ghost Shrimp are only .32 cents though and are still really cool.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store