Oranda floating upside down..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spirals

i will eat you in your sleep
Is he floating completely upside down and is unable to turn over or is he kind of somersaulting around the tank? Sometimes goldfish will get swim bladder infections or get air into their stomach (i think stomach...) when they gulp down air as they go to the surface to eat food. If thats the case a trick I've heard of/seen used is to put a little bit of wheat germ on the surface when you feed. The wheat germ will absorb the air and soon he'll be swimming like normal.
What is the tank size/water params?
you could also try feeding him sinking pellets or clipping veggies (zucchini, orange, peas) to the bottom of the tank to discourage the air gulping.

AroForever

I eat babies...candy.
Jul 20, 2007
Up your arse
Swim bladder disease, it is common in most fancy goldfish due to their bad body structure and bloated appearance, it is caused when a fish swallows a bubble of air and it gets trapped in their swimbladder, an organ just below the gills of an fish. There are some affective treatments for swim bladder disease, feed the goldfish peas with the shells taken off (laxatives), that will get the bubble out, if that doesnt work, he has a 90% chance of dying. Good Luck.

http://www.klsnet.com/files/fishchart.htm

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
what size tank, how many and what kind of fish and what are your water readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (and what kind of test are you using?)

Answers to these questions would help to help you.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
not normal behaviour

what size tank, how many and what kind of fish and what are your water readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (and what kind of test are you using?)

Answers to these questions would help to help you.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
honestly, if the fish has been doing it for a long time, he gets better after each 'episode', and he has no trouble eating or going about his business for the majority of the time, i wouldn't worry. if it gets worse or seems to impair the fish's quality of life, then it would be a problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store