stinging coral-not(?) fire coral

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

storrsms

AC Members
Mar 31, 2003
New Hope, VA
Visit site
hi- the other night when I was retrieving a veggie clip, my arm brushed against something that I thought was a sponge attached to some L/R, and it felt like a sweatbee sting-like someone put a just extinguished match on my forearm. this organism(s) is/are antique white in color,is shaped kind of like a small set of testicles, about the size of an Atomic Fireball, and looks like a pincushin with hundreds of glass-clear 'stingers' (nematocysts?) that are about 1/4-1/2 " long. I had thought this was a sponge, as it resembled the sponges that come on L/R, ball sponge-type shape, and I (obviously) didn't look real close at it until it 'bit' me.--any ideas what this may be?--I'm going to try and borrow a camera to get a picture,as this will make the guessing game easier to 'play'.

LOL- keep doin what your doin!

Mark

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Working on the assumption that it's a sponge, a couple possibilities -
1) If you whacked your arm against it with some force, you may have just stuck yourself with some of its spicules, the calcareous or siliceous structural elements that keep a sponge from collapsing on itself. These can be fairly sharp and vary in size between sponge species.
2) Some species of sponges *do* sting. Odds are unlikely that you would wind up with one, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
As BC said, in addition to fireworms and fire corals, there are fire fire sponges . They are not uncommon in the Caribbean, but your description sounds different. More like a glass sponge. The spicule theory sounds good to me.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Sounds like a sponge, but I have never seen one shaped "like a small set of testicals." You did make me laugh out loud, though. I think Mogurnda and BC are on the right track. Corals look pretty distinctive.

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001
You description may have been humorous, but it was also very accurate of something I've got growing in my tank. I've looked on a lot of critter ID pages but never found it. If you find any pics with an id, please post them.. (btw folks, he isn't exagerating, it DOES look like testicles.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store