Another newbie!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chitwnfish

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
I have been reading and reading and then reading some more and I am very impressed with the extensive knowledge that all of you have!

I would love some feedback as I have thoroughly confused myself!

We have a 56 gal that has been up and running for about 8 weeks now. My roommate has had many SW tanks in his life but has not had any for about 7 years.

This tank is doing really well with the 2 deaths (kromis and small blue tang)as a result of an unfortunate experience with the filter. That has since been corrected to hopefully avoid any further issues.

We have too much in there. Way too fast. The fish are doing really well for now anyway. It was my fault for being too excited and I bought on impulse.

However, not before making another significant error. We have a 55 gal that we started also and have cycled it with 2 damsels and then added a percula without any issues.

Today I went to the LFS alone and thought the anemone and clownfish combo was too cute to resist. The sales guy knows us well since he has been helping with the process. We had an extensive conversation about the anemones and a maroon and yellow clownfish. I asked about conditions, lighting, water quality, getting it established, feeding, and suitability for the new tank. He sold me 2 79.99 bubbletips and a 49.99 very small maroon clown plus the food for the anemone.

It's completely my fault for not doing my research. I just wish he had not told me there would be no issues with adding them now. His only caution was the percula and the maroon might not get along.

The one anemone is attached and gives off the appearance of being normal as of this moment.

The other one is attached to the side of a rock and is completely and utterly deflated. There is an upper and lower side if that makes sense due to it's positioning and the lower part is hanging down. I can see what looks like a white ball of some sort that is still inside.

Can they die this quickly?

I am planning on going back to the LFS tomorrow when they open. I have never made an attempt to return something like this and my roommate is going to be out of town. Any suggestions? Is this pretty common for people to take things back or at least try?

I believe I have learned my lesson on this one. I am just sick that I did this.

Any input would be great and I promise my future posts will not be so lengthy!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Congrats on reading. You'll find it never stops and as long as you love the hobby you'll enjoy every new bit of information you can soak up.

I'm a bit confused which tank has which in it. Could you list each tank with all the specs, stock and water parameters?

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
I'd say see if you can take back the clown and get money for the dead anenome.

What is the stock in the tank? Fish, Inverts?

The reason I'd take back the clown is that you're now probably OS and the clowns would probably look better with the same type of clown...

chitwnfish

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
Thanks for the response and for not telling me what an idiot I really am--although very justified if anyone does!

The 56 gal that has been around a little while has:

about 2" of live sand and coral substrate
10 lbs of live rock
1 fake coral piece that is rather large
-1 live rock that is about 4" across with mushrooms on it
-1 yellow tang about 3"
-1 blue tang probably 4.5"
-1 koran about 3 "
-1 percula 1"
-2 haitian anemones--these were 9.00 and from a different shop who also insisted that they would be fine
-1 largish leather coral
-5 crabs
-5 snails

-It is running a Rena 400 and a BakPak 2 skimmer.
I do not have the test numbers but will tonight.

The 55 gal tank just converted from fresh has

-2" live sand only
-1 dead tonga branch that now live rock
-1 dead coral that is also live rock now--both came from the 2nd LFS we go to and they were long term pieces there
-2 kromos that were used in the 56 gal for cycling
-1 yellow tail damsel about 1/2"
-1 3 stripe black damsel about 1/2"
-1 Coral Beauty from the other tank about 2" long
-1 maroon clown about 1/4"
-2 b.t.a
-2 snails
-2 crabs

It is running a fluval 300 and a rena p3 which I believe is the 300
There is a power head in this one but I do not know the size or model.
The protein skimmer is an Aqua C Remeron is to be delivered this afternoon.

The 1 b.t.a. that looked dead last night is normal looking this morning. My roommate said to move the percula as it was chasing the damsels endlessly and went after the maroon clown. So now the maroon has 2 b.t.a that he is having a blast in for now.

If I understand, there really is no way the b.t.a will survive in this tank correct? Now that I think about it, there was a 3rd place where we got the leather that said the same thing about the b.t.a. We specifically looked for places that had been around for at least 5 years and were either almost all or entirely SW. Sigh.

I will post the test numbers for both tanks as soon as I get them.

Thank you!

chitwnfish

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
Both tanks as of right now have only the regular lights.

The new lights will be here tomorrow for the 56 gal and are the T5 with reflectors.

The 55 gal only has the regular lights. I was trying to figure out what to do for the lights on this one and was doing research before making a decision. I have thoroughly confused myself between the MH and the T5. My roommate does not want the MH that stands up because he thinks it puts too much light out into the room.

I have read so many opinions I do not even know what I need at this point so any suggestions are great!

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
I'd say take out the 3-line damsel from the 55g and the koran and blue tangs from the 56g. You could add more suitable fish to the tank instead, such as:

1 more of each kind of clown
2 cleaner (neon) gobies to each tank

Is there sand in the 56g? If not, you should get some. I'd suggest 50-100 pounds of LR in each tank, and more clean-up crew. Make the current hermit and snail count:

10 scarlet hermits, 20 dwarf hermits, 10 nerite snails, 10 turbo snails, a star is optional (sand sifting?)

You could also add sexy or cleaner shrimp, 2 cleaners or 4 sexies :D

mrtuskfish

AC Members
Jul 13, 2007
You're getting a lot of good info. I'll just give you a thought: Check into buying livestock online...IMO you are paying extremely high prices. There are several good online sources with great service, products, guarantees, and prices!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The 56 gal that has been around a little while has:

about 2" of live sand and coral substrate
10 lbs of live rock
1 fake coral piece that is rather large
-1 live rock that is about 4" across with mushrooms on it
-1 yellow tang about 3"
-1 blue tang probably 4.5"
-1 koran about 3 "
-1 percula 1"
-2 haitian anemones--these were 9.00 and from a different shop who also insisted that they would be fine
-1 largish leather coral
-5 crabs
-5 snails
-It is running a Rena 400 and a BakPak 2 skimmer.
I do not have the test numbers but will tonight.

I have a yellow tang in my 55g, it is pushing it and I may have to consider finding it a new home or upgrading my tank size. 3 tangs in a 56 is more than pushing it. Not sure which blue you have but guessing perhaps a hippo as they are popular with we newbies. It needs lots of long swimming room. The Koran needs a much larger tank.

Although I love the looks of some of the anemones I won't risk them with corals myself so I've opted not to get them. If you are going to keep yours you'll want to upgrade the lights for certain. If the new T5s with individual reflectors are going on this tank that might work but I'd make sure that skimmer is doing a fantastic job for you. Also be aware that it could move and sting the leather.

More live rock is in order if you're trying to build a reef and I don't see any powerheads mentioned, you'll want to try for 10-25x water turnover at least.

The 55 gal tank just converted from fresh has

-2" live sand only
-1 dead tonga branch that now live rock
-1 dead coral that is also live rock now--both came from the 2nd LFS we go to and they were long term pieces there
-2 kromos that were used in the 56 gal for cycling
-1 yellow tail damsel about 1/2"
-1 3 stripe black damsel about 1/2"
-1 Coral Beauty from the other tank about 2" long
-1 maroon clown about 1/4"
-2 b.t.a
-2 snails
-2 crabs

It is running a fluval 300 and a rena p3 which I believe is the 300
There is a power head in this one but I do not know the size or model.
The protein skimmer is an Aqua C Remeron is to be delivered this afternoon.

The 1 b.t.a. that looked dead last night is normal looking this morning. My roommate said to move the percula as it was chasing the damsels endlessly and went after the maroon clown. So now the maroon has 2 b.t.a that he is having a blast in for now.

The 3 stripe damsels are very aggressive, I'd remove it and the yellow tail while I was at it. The chromis should be fine but a shame they were used in a fish cycle. The maroon clown will most likely be a bully but hopefully the coral beauty won't take any flack from it.

You definitely want to heed the same advice as above for the anemones. Fantastic water quality and great lights.

You want to shoot for 10-25x turnover from powerheads on your tank. One powerhead probably isn't going to cut it unless you went for a Tunze or a Koralia #4.

If I understand, there really is no way the b.t.a will survive in this tank correct? Now that I think about it, there was a 3rd place where we got the leather that said the same thing about the b.t.a. We specifically looked for places that had been around for at least 5 years and were either almost all or entirely SW. Sigh.

Unfortunately the length of time a store has been in business isn't related to the type of advice you'll get. Even a store with a good owner might have a newbie working and giving out questionable if not bad advice. Always research everything you buy in advance, it is difficult when tempted..I know.

I will post the test numbers for both tanks as soon as I get them.
Thank you!

Post when you have them

chitwnfish

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
I am really frustrated and so the help provided here is invaluable.

I was talking to my roommate and realized that we had spoken with the owners at all 3 locations. We were very clear on what we have and what we don't. No one saw any issues with this. I had done research on the other fish and thought that the LFS had more experience than me and would know what they were talking about! Therefore, I ignored the research.

Now I have spent a fortune on fish and anemones that we cannot have! Still completely my fault but it is irritating to be given so much conflicting information.

I appreciate the rec on buying online in the future. I have looked at some of the recs and have spent time on liveaquaria.com.

Has anyone tried to or had success with returning things that do not work in their tanks? I see people recommending take things back on other posts and am not sure how that works.

What does anyone do with fish, etc that they cannot keep? I have looked on the Chicago craigslist but have not seen any fish recently. Any other sources would be great!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store