Protein skimmer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1phatnav

Registered Member
Jul 10, 2007
Hi everyone, I am setting up a 265 gallon SW tank that is going to be fish only. My question to everyone is what protein skimmer you suggest I go with, I am using a 75 gallon tank as my sump so I planned on putting it in there, the exact height under the cabinet from bottom of the tank to top of the cabinet is 30 inches so I need something shorter than that so it will be easy to work on and clean. Any info is greatly appreciated. Also a good place to buy what you recommend.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Well, my personal opinion is that you dont really need to have one for a fish only system...if going for a fowlr ot reef, then yes..

The external filtration will do all that you need..

Just my opinion of course !!!

Niko

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
personally, i will not recomend one, dont see any point...adequate filtration on a system can take care of messy eaters..i dont believe a protien skimmer should be there and used as actual particle filtration, thats what the external filters are for...

Niko

1phatnav

Registered Member
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah it is crazy how you hear so many different things. Ok I will wait and see how much different input i get from this post. I know this post is about the protein skimmer but I just wanted to know your opinion on a UV Light also.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store