Atlantic Carpet Anemone?????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dub*c

Tha Shadiest 1
Apr 26, 2007
I was recently given an anemone that i was told was a carpet anemone. I looked up carpet anemones on the net and i am pretty sure it is a atlantic carpet anemone. after reading info that says it can consume anything in ur tank, even clowns, i dont no what to do. i currently have 4 hermits and 4 turbo snails in there with it. heres a pic, can anyone with experience or knowledge about this species help identifiy it and let me no some compatible fish and inverts??? these pics r from the second day in the tank. it hasnt changed much in colour and it moved a bit the first night.

100_1064.jpg 100_1067.jpg

dub*c

Tha Shadiest 1
Apr 26, 2007
i think what im guna do is purchase a clarkii clown and it it has problems with the nem then ill get rid of it. and also if id doesnt eat everyday, the tentacles seem to shrink and it looks like crap. is this normal???

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
i looked atlantic carpet anemone up. those aren't good hosts for clowns from what I've found. They eat fish. whoops.

"With hundreds of small, thick tentacles it's easy to mistake this species as a Corallimorpharian. Sometimes very common in shallow back reefs. Symbionts include the Squat Anemone Shrimp and Banded Clinging Crab. A strong stinger! Some shops offer this animal... it usually consumes all fishes it comes in contact with, including Clowns."

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Unless your tank is 150g+, I'd seriously consider taking it in to a LFS for some credit. Carpet anemones can get very large (well over 1') and be a big burden on water quality if fed regularly.

If you attempt to pair a clown to it, be very careful, as a friend had a carpet anemone with a clarkii and the clarkii would capture smaller fish (gobies, blennies) in their 120g tank and feed them to the carpet anemone. He ended up taking it in for credit once it reached 12", as it really started to become a problem with the other fish he wanted to keep in the tank. If you want to keep that anemone, you will have to really plan your entire tank around it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store