Another newbie question...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-LeG[A]cY-

AC Members
Jul 16, 2007
Well I've heard lots of talk around here about refugiums. Now, I did some research but I still don't know exactly what they are or what they do. I've seen that people grow algae in them and things like that but what is their purpose? Do you feed the algae to the fish in the main tank or what?

Thanks.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It allows you to have more filtering and grow macro algae outside of your display tank. This keeps the macro algae from taking over your display but gives you the benefit of it in the water system. It will use up the nutrients so that microalgaes don't have as big of a tendancy to take over your tank.

It will also give you a place for pods to grow safely and be a good source of fish food. Especially important with dragonettes.

-LeG[A]cY-

AC Members
Jul 16, 2007
Well, I've decided that I'm going to go with a 30 gallon tank. About how much do you think it would cost to set up a refugium for this tank.

I'm really interested in the Dragonettes so I'm guessing it would be a good idea to set up a refugium.

emonemo420

Word
Jun 30, 2007
dover afb
www.myspace.com
it will b a while til u get a dragonette in their....that will survive ne way ...they require alot of copeods and a very well established tank...in case u didnt know ....but as far as cost idk....just thought id chime in about the dragon cause i really really want one too...gl with everything mate:dance:

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
What kind of fuge are you thinking about. HOB, sump, separate.... What is your current filtration system?

-LeG[A]cY-

AC Members
Jul 16, 2007
lol yeah I know. I wish I could just go out and buy one, but sadly I don't even have my tank yet :(

Tomorrow I'm going out to buy the tank and lighting. Maybe the filter and heater while I'm there, but we'll see. Being 17 working for minimum wage sucks lol.

What kind of fuge are you thinking about. HOB, sump, separate.... What is your current filtration system?
I have no idea. Honestly I just wanted to know what one was. I don't even have my tank set up yet, I'm still learning.

-LeG[A]cY-

AC Members
Jul 16, 2007
Are you buying the tank mostly for a dragonette? If so I'd get a larger refugium/sump if not a larger tank to support one. If you like them but don't need to have one carry on. ;-)
I don't need to have one. I just think that they are very nice looking and would add a lot to my tank.

That brings up another good question. How would I go about building a sump? I was thinking a 20 long would be a good size for my tank. I did a little research and it looks like one section is where the skimmer goes, one section is where the fuge goes and the other I'm not so sure about. What all goes into a sump and setting it up? Link would be good too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store