Calling Angel Breeders

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
I have some questions I would like to ask about them (the angels). Let me know if you're experienced.

Thanks

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
I was wondering about what size they normally get when they are ready to breed. Some people have said that size matters too.
Is there a particular size they hit before breeding.

Barbie

Fishaholic
Size isn't a huge indicator, I've had females spawn at 50 cent piece size a couple different times, but usually they needed to be at least 2.5" long through the body without their finnage. Don't worry, once your angels start spawning you'll wonder what you were in such an all fired hurry for :) Keeping enough tank space for the babies can be a real challenge. Hope that helps.

Barbie

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
I have four angels in a 40 gal. tank. We are pretty sure at least two of them are males. They keep going at each other, and going by the sexing by humps on head and another method I read from another breeder.

Barbie, do you really believe it is better to have the bottom of the tank bare? We do have rocks on the bottom. We were trying with a plant for egg laying, cuz I had read that they will spawn on the leaves.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Lila:)

Barbie

Fishaholic
Lila I was breeding angels to sell to the LFS near me. I wanted to make sure that I raised as many as I possibly could out of each batch. I didn't have any other fish in the tank that could potentially predate the fry. Once the fry hit the free swimming stage, the parents will be hard pressed to keep them together and protected. Good Luck :)

Barbie

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
Personally, I would like to get about another two angels in there to see if any pair off. Which is basically what we are waiting for. As soon as we notice a pair, we were planning on removing the other two. This is advice that we read last year from a former breeder. (Just wanted to explain why we have more than two in the tank). I'm not trying to correct you. You're obviously a successful breeder. Your info is greatly appreciated.

Lila

Barbie

Fishaholic
It's been my experience that any opposite sex angels in the same general vicinity, they will spawn, hehe. No worries about getting enough for them to have a true "choice". I've switched males around in tanks and barely put them off the breeding cycle of a new batch of eggs every 9-12 days. If you have 4 angels, the odds are good you have at least one of each sex. I'd just be patient if they were mine, and wait to see what happens. I was told I needed 6 angels to get a pair from, and what I ended up with, was 3 breeding pairs in a 90 gallon tank, each with a corner to call their own, hehe. Thank goodness they never decided to all spawn at the same time. It took me a couple months to get rid of the extra pairs. From the first time I had a batch of 200 fry swimming around the parents eating the brine shrimp I was adding I was hooked. You'll enjoy them :)

Barbie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store