Fish room Help me build it.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
My buddy is building a fish room from scratch. He's building a new house and can do whatever he wants within $ limits. Anyway, here's what I told him so far and if anybody can come up with what I forgot, I'd appreciate it and so will he. He's building it into the wall so all the equipment will be hidden.

2 dedicated circuits. If one blows, he'll have the other to keep the tank alive
drain on the floor leading to a dry well for water changes
plumbing very near the tank with R/O
Metal Halides on pulleys
T5 actinics also on pulleys
Large sump/refugium w/asm skimmer (size to be determined according to the tank he buys or builds. He's a glass store owner)
Autotop off hooked to the R/O
Heater up and down
we'll figure out the overflow or drilled decision later
Enough room in the back to walk around, store junk, hang kalk.
Utility sink to clean skimmer, pumps, etc.
He'll have a backup generator for the whole house.
What did I forget?
Thanks,
Tom

KnaveTO

AC Members
Jun 7, 2007
Toronto, ON, Canada
Ground Interrupt Curcuits for the Electrical outlets and plenty of them!

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
^ - nope - just make the 2 dedicated circuits w/ GFI breakers right in the box.

If he's going to use Ca reactor - have a convenient outside storage spot for his 100# CO2 cylinder & remember to plumb some 1/4" SS tubing to a convenient spot in the basement (where the regulator and bubble counter should be - tank just gets a CGI 320(?) connector & ball valve).

I'd also include a tank or drum to catch the RO water in. This should be mounted above the SW mixing/storage tank/drum, which, ideally, is mounted above the main tank (or at least above the sump) so that all but RO output is gravity fed to the correct places by simple valves. RO should have a split line for auto-topping the tank. If a nice 3 way float actuated valve is used, the tank will get RO if low, RO will otherwise collect in the barrel (until it is full at which point another float switch should shut it off).

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
Slope the floor to a drain in the center so water spills will just run off down the drain. I can't count the number of threads I've read where something broke or a float valve failed and 10's of gallons were dumped on the floor.

Instead of have two dedicated circuits put in a small sub panel. If you ever look at outdoors pools they will put in a small panel so its easy to make additions if needed. I'd wire for 60-100 amps depending on the equipment you want. Down the road if you want to run 220v lighting its easy, just snap in the appropriate breaker.

Put in a ventilation system so it will turn on if the temp or humidity gets high.

j_chicago

Usually Drunk
May 12, 2007
Chicago, Il
Real Name
Jason
place the outlets above the tanks to prevent shorts if any leaks, overflows or massive spills happen ('cause they will at some point)

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
Thanks for the tips, Folks! I and he appreciate it very much.
Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store