Mystery Snail at top of water line

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KidInTheHall

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Hello, just bought 2 mystery snails today, 1 blue and 1 ivory, the ivory snail is still held up in it's shell since I brought it home about 2 hours ago at the bottom of the tank, the blue however has moved to the top of the water line. He's not trying to get out, it seems he's just sitting up top with his head poking out, is this normal? Thanks. I have a 55 gallon tropical tank, 77 degrees.

Mar 9, 2007
What are your water levels? ammonia/NitrITE/NitrATES? If they are not happy with the water quality and go up to the waterline, that is usually what it means.

justintoxicated

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
mine go up to the top allthe time, they actualy Swarm up to the top a certain time every night, lol. I'd say it is normal behavior. Might be looking for food.

Hope you have the tank covered or they will climb out.

KidInTheHall

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Can't check my levels cause I need to wait til tuesday to buy a master test kit but I'm very sure my levels are good, I have an ammonia alert from seachem which is coming up yellow for safe but I think it is normal cause the blue one is back in the water and has been all day, the ivory snail is at the top now but was at the bottom this morning when I woke up so I'm not too worried about it anymore.

KidInTheHall

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Oh and my tank is covered except for where the HOB filters are in place. I gotta work out some sort of covering for those spots with a fine mesh type netting or aluminum foil. I was thinking of taking a fine mesh net, secure it over the spots that are uncovered for the filters, cut a hole for where the filter tube goes and see if that works, should keep the snails in and any fish in should they decide to take a flying leap...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store