Kenyi With Clamped fin.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
Ive got a female Kenyi that I noticed today seems to be keeping one pectoral fin clamped to the side of her body. This has happend before to this same fish a few months ago... then it went away. None of the other Cichlids in the tank have ever done this... just the kenyi. Most of the fish in the tank have displayed "flashing" behaviour (scratching on ornaments and the substrate).

Might this be a parasitic infestation?

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
Hmmmmm....

I think the situation has been resolved. I loaded the tank with Melafix, and Stress Coat, yesterday, and after a day... the Kenyi is flapping both fins again... same thing happend the last time.

Correct me if Im wrong but... Neither of these things kills parasites (Melafix/Stress Coat). Yes?

Yesterday, this fish had one fin constantly clamped, and was constantly darting and scratching on things... now it seems fine.

Could it be that this fish's immune system is for some reason less robust than the others, so its more likely to be affected by parasites? I mean... Ive got 16+ fish in the tank (I forgot how many I bought, and they dont stay still long enough for someone with a Forrest Gump IQ like me to count them), and this one has had a clamped fin twice while none of the others have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store