new 55 gallon...need ideas for ram biotope

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

comunity101

AC Members
May 7, 2007
Kentucky
help...the sword fry have overrun my tanks and im no longer fascinated w the swordtails..they r my wifes babys...so im moving on to something in the cichlid area that isnt angels...im tlakin rams........im going to be biotping this 55 for
5 Rams (2 male and 3 female)
8 Guppys (2 males & 6 Females)
12 Neon Tetras
8 Swartz's Cory Cat(Corydoras schwartzi)

i need any pictures anyone can find of a ram habitat...plants from that area...and any info from experienced ram keepers...thanks in advance for any and all assistance...

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
honestly, if you're looking for plant recommendations I'd post in the planted tank forum. I'm not much help here as I don't research the origins of my plants, and thus keep no biotopes myself. Sorry.;)

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
if you want to stay simple, driftwood and swords. otherwise i would agree, you should talk to the planted section.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Soon, you'll be looking for a South American biotope rather than a ram biotope.;) Guppies are out of the question as they do not share the same origin as the rams. Some driftwoods, eleocharis, cabomba and echinodorus species would be your best bet.

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
I agree about the guppies. They don't go with rams or anything south american for that matter.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I'm not sure tho that guppies would fare well with rams.
GBR's need warm water 82-84 is common. I keep my Bolivians in temps up to 84..they ones in the warmer tanks seem to have more color than the ones in cooler tanks.
guppies may become table fare or suffer in the warm waters.
the biotope would contain the plants mentioned..

tho the may have some origins i in south america..the question is if they would inhabit the same waters as rams.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
you may also want to have 2 males and 2 females instead of three, to prevent an "odd female out" situtation

if you have 2 pairs fo rams and 8 corydoras, you can have way more neons if they are the only species of tetra that you would like to keep in the tank.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The south American biotope is generally characterized by relatively warm, soft, acidic water. Temps around 82 or so. You'll probably want to shoot for a ph of 6.2-6.8, this can be accomplished by lots of driftwood, or peat in the filter. Most of the bottom is dirt or clay with lots of leaf litter..I settled for fluorite. Lots of driftwood and no rocks at all. The driftwood/peat combination will help to tint the water with tannins, this "blackwater effect" is desireable to some, not as much to others, but a good representation of the natural habitat.

Light can either be low, simulating a jungle-shaded pool or slow river, or bright to imitate a pool in a clearing. Amazon swords are good choices, as well as vallisneria sp. Both will want at least med light to thrive.

The rams, if you get mated pairs, are going to section off the tank into territories. I kept 4 males together in a 30 without too much problem, however. The alpha male will color up very nicely, the sub males looked almost like females - drab color, but without the pink belly. Mine tend to stick closer to the bottom, they like lots of driftwood to hide out.

Cories would be ok unless the rams breed - rams will tend to pick the cories' eyes out if they get too close to a spawning site. The neons should be fine, you can do a pretty good sized school in a 55. If you do decide on the rams and cories together, I would forget the guppies and go for 20 or so neons. The guppies don't really fit into a south american blackwater biotope, but the rams would enjoy eating the fry.

Check out fish.mongabay.com for a great biotope resource.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store