Future Setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Peedub20

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I plan to set up a 240 gallon slowly over time starting in about a month.

My first thought of equipment I will use is as follows:

RO/DI Unit: Coralife CD18786, 50 GPD, 3 stage w/ pump

Power Heads: 4x Hydor Koralia 4s

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Lighting: two 48" Curren USA Sunpod, 2x250w 14kHQI MH w/ lunar

Will also be going with about a 45 gallon sump, 250# of both LR and LS

Plan to keep LPS corals, torch's, etc....

My original fish list is as follows, suggestions or edits of the list are welcome. This was just the fish that caught my eye, that I thought could work.

Chalk Bass (3)
Bartlett's Anthias (1 male 8 Female)
Royal Gramma (Group)
Blue Assesor (4)
Bangaii Cardinalfish (1)
Big Longnose Butterfly (1)
Maroon & Yellow Clown (Pair)
Sharknose or Neon Goby (1-2)
Atlantic Blue Tang (group)
Whitecheek Surgeonfish (1)
Naso Tang (1)

Any thoughts or suggestions are more than welcome.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Is that an 8' tank? :thumbsup:

You may want a deeper sandbed, but it's up to you.

I have a Bartlett's Anthias and it really adds some color to the tank. I can't imagine how nice a school would look. Some are known to be difficult to feed at first but once they start, it's as if they never stop!

The Royal Grammas- it's recommended to only have one. I've always read they're known for fighting and, unforunately, I had a recent experience with 2 together (didn't have a choice, tank cracked/broke) and it didn't work out. They fought, one died :(. They're not schooling fish.

The Longnose Butterfly may pick at your corals if you end up having a reef.

I have a couple of Neon Gobies and I love them. What's a sharknose?
Naso is a good choice. Regarding the Atlantic Blue Tang and the Whitecheek- do you have the Latin names for them? I'm only asking because for the Whitecheeck there are 2 that are identical and usually confused- one hardy, one not. Some people use the Atlantic Blue Tang interchangeably with other blue Tangs so just trying to figure out which one you mean.

Maroon clowns can get nasty so if you decide to have them, I would add them last.

Your equipment looks good and I can't wait to see some pictures!

Peedub20

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Latin name for the Atlantic Blue is, Acanthurus Couruleus.

White Cheek, Acanthurus Nigricans.

I think I am going to replace the Maroons with a pair of ocellaris.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
I still get confused sometimes with this but the Acathurus nigricans have a poor survival rate in captivity. They're often confused with the Acanthurus japonicus, which have a much better survival rate. Even a lot of LFS can't tell the difference.

This will explain it a lot better:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/GoldRimSs.htm

And this:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/badacanthurusaq.htm

Either way I would make sure it's the japonicus.

The Alantic Blue Tang would be awesome. I've never seen one in person. Does your LFS carry them?

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Atlantic Blues are beautiful in person. Our LFS here has one in their display. I want it so bad, such a pretty fish. I agree on switching to false percs. Maybe you can hunt down an orange and black pair, or something interesting.

Peedub20

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
The book I have, "Marine Fishes" by Scott W. Marshall said that the Nigricans were actually more durable than the Japonicus... That was the reason I chose him rather than the other...

hmm.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store