Largemouth bass, the most frustrating fish ever!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
Why are largemouth bass such a pain? I went out for a little bit of bank fishing today, and the 1st hour I was there, I had not 1, not 2, but 3 different schools of largemouths taunt me. Might have been the same school 3 times, I'm not sure. But they were driving me crazy! I would drop my worm in the water, and the entire school of about a dozen or so would form a circle and just sit there staring at it. They were fairly decent sized too. So I finally got smart enough to give up on the worm, and I pulled out my luckiest crankbait, and of course, the rest of the day I did not see a single fish. Just my luck. But I guess I should be happy with the 1.5" bluegill I did manage to catch.:rolleyes: Guess I should have brought some extra gillnet back from Alaska for an "emergency" tackle box. Then those bass would know who is boss.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Maybe they were daring each other to see who would give in and take the bait first... looks like they all won. LOL

Q

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The first time I went fishing this year, I had not changed the line on my ultralight in about 3 years. I casted and was thinking to myself, maybe I should have at least clipped off the old swivel and tied a new knot...too late, hooked onto a 12" or so smallmouth, got him almost within arms reach...and pop, the line broke right at the knot and the fish took off with my only small hula popper. I was kind of irritated about losing the fish, but more felt bad that the fish is going to have to swim around with this lure hanging out of his mounth for a while.

S.A.

WHY? Cuz I can...
Oct 19, 2005
When teased beyond frustration, I usually resort to a fly. Yes I will fish a fly on a spinning rod. If they refuse to rise, I will weight a dry-fly. Kills them everytime!

I will admit though, blue-gill on an ultra-light can be just as fun if not more challenging than largemouth. Why? Because you can't horse them out of the water, it can take a much more delicate and patient hand. :)

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
Yea I tried fishing for panfish with an ultralight a couple of times. The first time I hooked into a largemouth about 12 or so pounds. I played him right and got him to the boat, but didn't have enough muscle in the pole to get him away from the anchor line, he wrapped my line around the anchor and broke free. The other time I tried an ultralight rod I lost 4 rainbow trout in about 15 minutes. They were all about 20+ inches, and it was really rocky where I was fishing and the ultralight just didn't have the muscle to keep the fish out of the rocks. So I said to heck with that and threw the ultralight in the trash.

On using flies, I always find they work well when tied to a wedding ring spinner. I've caught alot of trout on a brown elk hair fly tied to a red wedding ring spinner.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Lol you must fish in different places than me. I like the ultralight because most of the fish I catch are sub 2lb smallies, or lots of bluegill, and the occasional pickerel, mostly out of small local rivers. The ultralight makes it a lot more fun even catching small fish. If I go someplace where I know there are big ones I use my regular pole.

S.A.

WHY? Cuz I can...
Oct 19, 2005
Yea I tried fishing for panfish with an ultralight a couple of times. The first time I hooked into a largemouth about 12 or so pounds. I played him right and got him to the boat, but didn't have enough muscle in the pole to get him away from the anchor line, he wrapped my line around the anchor and broke free. The other time I tried an ultralight rod I lost 4 rainbow trout in about 15 minutes. They were all about 20+ inches, and it was really rocky where I was fishing and the ultralight just didn't have the muscle to keep the fish out of the rocks. So I said to heck with that and threw the ultralight in the trash.

On using flies, I always find they work well when tied to a wedding ring spinner. I've caught alot of trout on a brown elk hair fly tied to a red wedding ring spinner.

Yeah an ultralight does not hold up well to our smallmouth and largemouth. Well pretty much anything over 5lbs. I have used flies on my med. 7ft. Works well :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store