UV sterilizers?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Marcus Fenix

bicolor anglefish-one of my favs
Jul 21, 2007
Canada
simple question. UV sterilizers for a FO or FOWLR enviroment, yes or no???

pros and cons.

I haven't seen much discussion about UV's around here.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
The common verdict is that they should be used on an as-needed basis. No need to run them all the time, as they'll kill beneficial stuff in your water column as well as parasites/etc...

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
Do a search on this forum. You'll get more than enough information. I'd have to say that a majority of people do not run UV 24/7. Alot of people have them but only use them when it is absolutely necessary. Some people just run UV on QT Tanks. The latter makes more sense to me.

I think that a proper QT regimen will help guard against disease outbreaks.

Marcus Fenix

bicolor anglefish-one of my favs
Jul 21, 2007
Canada
yeah, I should've done a little bit more searching before starting a new thread on UV's.
sorry about that

I'm doing the search

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
Look at it this way...you just helped someone else find more information on UV sterilizers when they search for it. :)

Don't worry about redundant threads either. I'm pretty sure one of the threads that you will pull up when you do your search will be one that I started months ago. I too did not rely on the search function until recently.

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
Run it and add all the things you want before the bulb needs to be replaced. After that, just turn it off.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Never been a big fan of them, myself. Most setups aren't efficient enough to do a good job of parasite eradication (nor is that actually possible in a tank that is infected, since it isn't 100% effective). It does, however do a great job of keeping the water clear, further degrading normally refractory organic compounds, and killing unicellular algae and bacteria.

i_limantara

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Indonesia
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store