velvet?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lucid_boy

cancer
May 19, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
are black mollies more prone to getting velvet?
I have one in a QT and I think that is what he has, he has sparkly stuff around gills...

lucid_boy

cancer
May 19, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
and some white stuff on his mouth???

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
i dont know if it's scientifically proven that they get it more often, but my mollies had trouble with velvet and cotton mouth for about a year and a half.

are you keeping them in brackish water? cuz when i started doing that, everything cleared up.. also, what temp are they at?

lucid_boy

cancer
May 19, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
well, he is in a 2.5 gal QT tank by himself, with 1 airstone, and yes I am using 1 TBL spoon per 5 GAL of water...
he seems heathier than when I 1st had him 3 days ago, but still has the funk on gills, and mouth. temp is around 77-78, I read that raising the temp to around 80-82 could help as well...is this true.
also how long will it take for velvet and/or cotton mouth to clear up?

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
and yes I am using 1 TBL spoon per 5 GAL of water...
Use of aquarium salt doesn't make for a BW tank. You have to use marine salt for brackish water. However, I've been told that mollies don't really need brackish water at all... but then, others say that they do much better in BW. I don't keep mollies, so I'm not sure what to think. Does Quick Cure treat velvet? I can't seem to remember. Anyway, I'd consider using meds.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
:iagree:

You really need some Meds to treat for fungal ailments. Also, keeping the water as prestine as possible really helps a LOT! Usually fish cannot get fungal diseases unless they are already stress and/or injured.

How's the water readings?

P.S.

I've kept mollies off and on, and I still do - Never used BW and they seemed perfectly fine, but I also know they do great in BW too.

Featherfin

Student
May 2, 2007
Savannah, GA
mollies are found everywhere from brackish to fresh...it just depends on the specific mollies, although not necessarily the species. it would be best to try and figure out what kinds of salinity they came from originally, if you could ask the lfs where they get them from and then call the breeder.

i agree about the meds for fungus

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
The LFS probably doesn't get them from a breeder. They probably come from a wholesaler just like the majority of fish that end up at the LFS. Often, the conditions at the wholesale facility are less than optimal, and as the fish are seen as simply a commodity, I'm sure they are just kept in normal FW. At any rate, even mollies raised in FW are said to be easy to acclimate to BW, provided the salinity is raised slowly. If that's what you want to do, you'll have to purchase marine salt, research the recommended specific gravity (I believe it's around 1.010, but I'm not sure), and buy either a hydrometer or a refractometer to measure specific gravity. The water will need to be pre-mixed for your water changes, and you'll need to top off with freshwater every day or so to keep SG stable, because the salt does not evaporate with the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store