My Octopus Setup with pics of my DIY's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mosthated

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
This is my planned setup for my 100gallon tank i am picking up tomarrow. Any suggestions or idea's about my setup would be greatly appreciated!! I included picks of my diy sump/wetdry and my diy overflow.

tanklayout.JPG DSC00192.JPG DSC00207.JPG

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
One suggestion is to put something over the pipe as a small octo will get right in there with no problem.

I also notice you have bio-balls in there which leads me to think (and I may be wrong) that you are new to SW. Cephalopods are very sensitive creatures and should be left to experienced marine keepers only. Also the silicon around your check valve will end up leaking, the best thing to do would be to use PVE cement to hold it but then when (not if) it goes bad you will not be able to change it.

mosthated

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
No, after i get it all setup i will. I have had the 29 gallon running for a long time, and i am hoping it will help speed the cycling of the system on through.. then when the water is all right i will.. i am going to be adding all live sand and a bunch of live rock to the 100 as well.. so it shouldnt tank long to cycle at all.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
One suggestion is to put something over the pipe as a small octo will get right in there with no problem.

I also notice you have bio-balls in there which leads me to think (and I may be wrong) that you are new to SW. Cephalopods are very sensitive creatures and should be left to experienced marine keepers only. Also the silicon around your check valve will end up leaking, the best thing to do would be to use PVE cement to hold it but then when (not if) it goes bad you will not be able to change it.
Have you ever kept an octopus? I have and while they are difficult to acclimate, once they are they do quite well. Mine was kept in a 30 gallon Show with only a UGF. So successfully that she chose to deposit dozens of eggs in her cave. Based on this guys diagram, I doubt he's a novice.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Line the inside vertical walls of your canopy with the plastic astroturf. This prevents escape without requiring a glass top. You can also use this to cover the parts of the DIY overflows that go over the tank. Their suction cups can't stick to the astroturf.

mosthated

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
I have got some plastic mesh type material. that will screen off any large openings, and the overflows.. I plan on making my own lid for the 100gl out of some acrylic and i can make ever thing fit pretty tight. This will be my first large tank. but i have smaller tanks.. 2X29gl's and a 55gl running for over two years.. i have done plenty of research on octopus (thats suppose to sound plural) i am more then confident on my ability to care for one. I was just wanting to make sure i had everything in line.. Like does it matter that my skimmer will be in line after it goes through the bioballs? (and i chose bio balls well, because they look better then scruby pads from the dollar store, and they are just convient for me..) things like that.. any suggestions would be great though. even different bio material.. thanks for the input so far guys!

ricsreef

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Louisville,Ky
Looks like a nice setup,I would suggest you put filter material over top of bio-balls to capture larger debris.It will keep them clean longer,They still will need to be cleaned regularly.It would be better IMO to use something easier to maintain. Also make sure your top is tight.Those guys are crazy smart and will try "any" gaps.The astroturf sounds like a good idea.

mosthated

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
Looks like a nice setup,I would suggest you put filter material over top of bio-balls to capture larger debris.It will keep them clean longer,They still will need to be cleaned regularly.It would be better IMO to use something easier to maintain. Also make sure your top is tight.Those guys are crazy smart and will try "any" gaps.The astroturf sounds like a good idea.
Like what?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store