will my flow rate be okay?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chirojosh

AC Members
Nov 24, 2006
75 gallon FOWLR, some inverts like shrimp and feather dusters. Flow will be from the skimmer, acua c remora pro with mag3, and (2) ac 70 powerheads rated for 400 gph thats like 15-16x per hour, too much?

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Flow from the skimmer doesn't benefit you much, since it's almost always not coming out of the skimmer at angle that's gonna allow you to take full advantage of the flow. Hence I don't count the flow from skimmers.

As for 15-16 times (which effectively you have less than) turnover being to, much, well I start at 20x turnover for any tank, go up from there. Most people will tell you 10x turnover is fine for FO/FOWLR, but personally I find that the extra flow just helps so much more with filtration and oxygenation that I don't see a reason to spend the extra money to get more flow (for your tank this would cost at the most $100 to do - not that much in this hobby). Also, most nuisance algaes have a hard time colonizing in high-flow areas, meaning you won't get hit so hard when the usual algae blooms strike.

chirojosh

AC Members
Nov 24, 2006
cool, what if I run the two powerheads, and throw on an AC110 filter with no media just for added flow? that would be okay? 1300gph?

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
I would just go ahead and get the 4's. It's only an extra $20 now vs. $120 later on to switch to the 4s. That extra $20 will get you pretty much set flow-wise for anything you would want to do with the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store