Moon Crab setup in 10gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Asthrou

AC Members
Jul 17, 2007
www.StrathLAN.com
I had posted this in the Freshwater section earlier to my mistake. Please excuse that.

---

I am looking to setup a 10gal aquarium to host a moon crab (Adopting it from my friend, this is what he told me it is.) I want to create the best habitate for it to reside in. Now I have been trying to do as much research as possible so that I may give this creature a good home.

Ive come across many documents saying that the moon crab is much like a hermit crab, as in its habitat and how it lives. I just want to confirm this with you guys.

Right now I do believe that my friend has it hosted in 1/2 a 20gal tank. It has a shallow dish for water (freshwater, declorinated) and then just a sandy substrate. I would ideally like to give "Greg" some plant-life as well.

Basically I am just looking to figure out exactly what kind of habitat I am to give it. Any information, even if its repeatative, would be much appretiated!

Thank you in advanced, Mike

Last edited:

Siren

Mythological Creature
I don't know much about them, but I have heard them called "Halloween Crabs". You might want to Google that and see if it helps you clear up any questions you have.

I'd compare photos on these sites to what you have for a proper ID. Hermit crabs are not aquatic (they can drown rather easily in too deep of water), while moon/Halloween crabs seem to be. Then again, it could be a case of improper care given to the animal (like the so called FW crab species that are really brackish).

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store