10g Shrimp and Nursery Tank - Need Suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZSandmann

Obey the Corgi!
Jun 25, 2007
Tuscaloosa, AL
Real Name
John
I have a 20g planted tank (points to sig). I just noticed Wal-World ;) has a sale right now on 10g aquariums, I think it is 25 bucks for tank, light, filter, and some food and conditioner samples. What I want to do is make a red cherry shrimp tank and nursery tank for my Endler's Livebearers. The fry of Endler's will go over here. Would this be an ok setup and what would you all recommend as far as plants, etc? I plan on taking the filter media from the 20 and putting it in the 10 to do an instant cycle. Think that will be alright?

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
that would be a good setup. just make sure to get a sponge to cover the intake of the filter so the fry anf larvae dont get sucked in.

java moss, java fern, hornwort, anarchis, anubias, elodea

moving over media and having plenty of plants will make for a "silent" or "instant" cycle. plus, shrimp and endler fry are not much of a bioload.

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
My cherry shrimp tank has a moss wall, a log and complete moss cover on the bottom. The moss is the most important thing.
Having a sponge over your filter is smart. In my tank the moss has been growing over the filter intake for some time.

ZSandmann

Obey the Corgi!
Jun 25, 2007
Tuscaloosa, AL
Real Name
John
All they have at the lfs is fine gravel/riverstone. It's what I have in the 20 but I wanted something very small like the Eco mix stuff for this tank. Anyone think sand is a bad idea if I keep it less than an inch deep?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store