75G FOWLR Journal - Cycle is complete!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
My tank has finally finished cycling. :headbang2:
Took some readings tonight...
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 0
Phosphates = 0
pH 8.3
SG = 1.025 @ 80F

Tomorrow, or early next week, I'll be adding some macro algae, shoal grass, snails, crabs and shrimp.

I ordered 2 Halimeda, 2 Codium, 1/2 pound Prolifera, 12 Shoal grass, 5 Blue-leg Hermits, 2 Emerald Crabs, 5 Scarlet Hermits, 25 Vibex snails, 5 Striped Turbo snails, 3 Mexican turbo snails, and 3 Peppermint Shrimp from Floridapets.com (free shipping east of the mississippi on orders over $50)

I also put in an order for an Aqua-C Remora Pro/Mag-3 Skimmer to replace the Seaclone 150. Should be here next week sometime. :)

I did a 40% water change tonight. I've been using tap water(treated w/Prime) during the cycle and my tap is pretty decent (no detectable nitrates or phosphates and less than 1ppm chloramine/ammonia). I haven't tested for heavy metals, so a copper test kit may be in order.

Here's an updated shot of the tank with a decent growth of diatoms and hair algae which should give the cleanup crew plenty to eat.

100_1925.jpg

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
tank looks very nice, what are you planning on stocking in the 75?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
1 Flame Angel
2 ocellaris clownfish
1 Bicolor blenny
1 royal gramma
1 Yellow watchman goby
1 blue regal tang
1 Sixline wrasse
1 Huchtii Anthias
1 longfin bannerfish
3 Blue Reef Chromis

The fish will be gradually added over a six month period. I'll probably start with the chromis/clowns/gramma and work my way to the flame angel, tang and anthias.

If all goes well, I'll add some mushrooms, plate corals, and sun corals early next year.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
1 Flame Angel
2 ocellaris clownfish
1 Bicolor blenny
1 royal gramma
1 Yellow watchman goby
1 blue regal tang
1 Sixline wrasse
1 Huchtii Anthias
1 longfin bannerfish
3 Blue Reef Chromis

The fish will be gradually added over a six month period. I'll probably start with the chromis/clowns/gramma and work my way to the flame angel, tang and anthias.

If all goes well, I'll add some mushrooms, plate corals, and sun corals early next year.

stock looks good I would bump up the numb on the banner fish as they are schooling fish.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Thanks, I was wondering about that, but was concerned about overstocking the tank. If two banners will be ok, then consider it done. :)

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
We'll see. I'd love to do 3, but these fish grow close to 9-10" in the wild. Probably less in an aquarium. I may have to rethink my stocking plans if I go with 3. That would make things pretty crowded with 3-4 Chromis, an Anthias and a Regal tank fighting for swimming space. The other fish are fairly small and hang around the LR and substrate, so they should be fine.

I'm thinking of turning my Seaclone into a bio-chamber w/bioballs or ceramic rings and putting it on my Cichlid tank. It would be a good water oxygenator and great for aerobic nitrification. I could seed it with the bio-wheels on the Emperor 400.

Yash

Trance Addict
Nov 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
Looking really good there mate! I cannot wait to see it stocked up! Love the aquascaping!

Keep us posted on how things go for ya!

Cheers!
Yash

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Thanks, Yash!
I can't wait to see it stocked with critters, myself. I'm sure they'll love it in there with so many hidey holes, caves and nooks.
I'm sure it will look great with the macros and good coralline growth, as well. The diatoms are such an eyesore right now.
I'm going to put the shoal grass in the 'lagoon' area in the front/middle of the tank. It would look cool to have a lawn effect in there much like the shallow flats you see around the Carribbean. Keeping it trimmed will be the key. That stuff can just about grow to the surface (18")
The rest of the macros will be placed in/around the rocks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store