My new 90G Reef setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dogfacepuff

AC Members
May 24, 2007
Northern Cali
I wanted to share my newly discovered obsession. My rocks are currently curing and I can't wait to put sand in.
I'm primarily doing all Stony corals and not yet decided on what fish.
Any suggestions on fish would help.

Tank specs.
90G All-Glass Megaflow w/over flow kit
Truvu Platinum 180 Skimmer sump
Euro Reef RS 100 protien skimmer
Coralife Aqualight Pro 2x150 HQI, Antinics & Lunar
2 Hydor Koralia #3's
All-Glass 300W Heater
Rio Return Pump (650GPH)
Reef Keeper 2 (my favorite) http://www.digitalaquatics.com/reefkeeper2.html
112#'s LR
80#'s LS
Check out my pics!

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
looks good, only things i would suggest are:

ditch the rio, get a similar mag drive (same gph range) .. its higher quality, it 'will cost you more, but its worth it, and plus rio's fail alll the time and cause problems.

I would also say ditch the all glass heater, and get 2 250 watt visi-therm stealths, they are fully submersible (downfall of my jager heaters) and work very well, if i was to do it over again, i would buy visi-therms, they are priced very well too.

Otherwise, great looking tank, cant wait to see it with sand 8)!!!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
You're off to an excellent start, I agree with looking at a different return pump but instead of the Mag I'd go for something that runs cooler like an Eheim. My Eheim1260 is rated at 635gph but I'd personally bump up to the next size for a 90g

What are you planning on sticking the tank with?

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
mmm, i just suggest the mag because even though they can be pretty expensive, they are still cheaper than the ehiems 8).

Yash

Trance Addict
Nov 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
Sweet looking setup you got there! Can't wait to see it take off with livestock!

One question out of curiosity ... since you have your lights placed directly on the tank using the mounting legs, whats' you tank temp. looking like? I was thinking of switching to MG myself but didn't have a canopy that I could enclose the lights in and was thinking how it would work simply placing them the way you have them. Do you have a chiller taking care of the heat by any chance?

Thanks!
Yash

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Very nice.. To talk about the mag pumps.. I have one and with keeping my heaters at about 78 and even with my MH (I have them at 12" off of my tank) I can still keep temps around the 79 to 80 degree range. Granted I also have AC in my place but the only days I've had issues with heat were the days I forgot to turn the AC on and the local temp got to 90 degrees and the tank was at 83.

If you live in an area where temps are an issue then I would go with the Eheim pump, if you don't I'd go for a Mag.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store