Where to Find Snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

janfow365

AC Members
Jun 30, 2007
Hi Guys

I'm looking to buy some Figure 8 Puffers for my brackish tank, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where to purchase suitable snails to keep their beaks nice and trim.

I don't want to purchase them until my search for snails is over.

I live in the Toronto, Ontario, Canada area. Anyone have any ideas?
I've looked on EBay, but don't know if I should trust the source. I need something relatively local, as I don't have a vehicle.

Ideas?

- Jan

Sir Pufferfish

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
UK
any LFS should have plenty of these if you ask nicely, especially the ones that sell plants.
ramshorn / pond snails i find are best to feed but keep away from Trumpet snails ( there shell is too hard and may damage your F8 teeth )
if they that rare where you are, try setting up a snail breeding tank.
Worth the setup if keeping puffers,

I have bought plenty of snails off ebay, including imported brackish nerite snails and had no problems at all ( touch wood )

Gangstafish

gangstafish
Dec 10, 2006
long IslandNY
What's the SG of your brackish tank? I heard Figure8's are on the lower end of brackish like1.005. GSP's like it higher until full grown. Then the GSP's go full marine.

Sir Pufferfish

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
UK
snail fry look like tiny clumps of transparent jelly,
usually found on plants or ornaments.
takes weeks even months for them to mature and shells to harden up to be of any use to feed to puffers

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com