Removing stickers and magic marker from acrylic tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

j_chicago

Usually Drunk
May 12, 2007
Chicago, Il
Real Name
Jason
I bought an acrylic tank that was once used in a LFS. It has labels in both magic marker and labelmaker stickers.

What can I use to take them off? My current LFS said they use Acetone on thier acyrlic but I'm a little weery of using it on mine. I heard it can etch the surface, or make it foggy atleast.

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
try a little varsol, im pretty sure its not as toxic to plastic, and should clean it off without causing any harm to the acrylic.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Don't use acetone or laquer thinner or (as I did on a glass tank's trim) xylene!

Try WD-40 or cooking oil on the adhesive...rubbing or denatured alcohol on the marker. use a clean soft terry towel...the nubs seem to help w/o scratching

--Don

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
easy fix for the marker.. get yourself a big dry-erase marker, and rub it right over the perm. marker.. quickly wipe it off before it dries, and after a couple of times it should be gone.

j_chicago

Usually Drunk
May 12, 2007
Chicago, Il
Real Name
Jason
thanks for the quick replies, I think I'll lead off with J's, it seems simple enough. The stickers don't worry me to much, since the wd-40 takes care of that easily.

Any more ideas are more then welcome...

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
easy fix for the marker.. get yourself a big dry-erase marker, and rub it right over the perm. marker.. quickly wipe it off before it dries, and after a couple of times it should be gone.
This works well.

I have also had good success with a Mr. Clean 'Magic Eraser'.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal

Yep, works every time!

j_chicago

Usually Drunk
May 12, 2007
Chicago, Il
Real Name
Jason
Well...As I said these tanks tanks (I picked one up for a friend, both in the same condition) were in a LFS, and there was alot of scratches from being in storage for a few years. So my friend was working on buffing out some of the scratches and noticed the sand paper removed the marker in a hurry. Then he just continued to buff the tank to like new condition.

Thanks for the knowledge of the dry erase, I'm sure it will come in handy, maybe not for me, but perhaps someone will ask me, and I'll have an answer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store