?? Wet/Dry with LR or DIY 'Berlin' ??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gaspar

AC Members
May 15, 2007
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif It is now finally time to set up my new 40 gal bottom drilled acrylic aquarium. I am using a nice wood stand with a sump cabinet custon built into the wall behind. So there is enough room for a decent sized sump/refugum. The tank will be home to a beautiful coral collection, lots of flowing Frogspan, Torches, inverts, a pair of Clowns and possibly a pair of tangs [!]... see attached photo of my previous aquarium... Please note that there is NO live rock at all in the display aquarium.

I have an AquaFlow 1 wet/dry sump filter and an old 36'' x 10'' x 15" tall acrylic tank. And I have a new Aqua C 120 Skimmer. So here is the big question: The MegaFlow 1 has a bio ball chamber that I could fill with live rock rubble. Remaining room inside the MegaFlow would be filled with LR/LR rubble[?] with some healthy hearty green alge growing under a timed light. The Aqua C skimmer would be mounted outside the MegaFlow. There is a photo of the MegaFlow below. This is option #1. Option #2 is to DIM a sump out of my old acrylic tank. The Aqua C skimmer would be inside the sump and there would be much more room for LR/LR rubble and timed light alge than with option 1. This DIM project would end up looking a lot like the empty sump in the photo below.

So: Is the important basic bottom line how much LR is in the system?
Is there any advantage to having a wet/dry LR rubble chamber?

I very much respect you folks on this informative board and will value any
feedback and ideas anyone may have to help make all this set up work result in an effective filter system for my new aquarium project!

attachment.jpg AQ C.jpg Maybe the right refugium.jpg 41TZdLL5BUL-1._AA200_.jpg

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
If it were me, I'd go with option #2. I'm not a fan of a wet/dry, nor do I see how replacing bio-balls with LR in a wet/dry changes anything. It's still a wet/dry (unless you rig it so the LR is completely submerged, not just water being sprayed over it). I also like the idea of having more room for submerged LR and macro algae that option #2 provides.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store