Stocking 75 Gallon Community tank suggestoins ???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

djdietz

AC Members
Jul 24, 2007
Hello,
I am in the process of setting up a 75 gallon community tank. We are totally up in the air about what to put in it. My wife likes large interesting fish (such as angels, cichlids, etc..) and I also like a lot of fish and moving ones to look like a community with some action in it.

I have 2 different thoughts in mind......

#1 If we do a cichlid tank (which I have never had before) roughly how many could we have if it were things like JD's, firemouths, severums, or smaller ones, and what other fish could work with them?

#2 In more of a "community tank" what are some fairly large "show piece" type of fish that could get along with smaller things like smaller barbs, larger tetras, swordtails, mollies, etc and also some angels. Is there any of the cichlids that would be docile enough such as severums or any others?

Some fish that I have never had that I like are Black Ghost Knife (would he eat the smaller ones above?), african butterly fish (the tank sits fairly high so you see the top level really well), elephat nose, and some of the rainbow fish.

Thanks for all the help so far. I'm so glad I found this forum, it really has help alot.

Thanks,
Dan

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
#2: Angels 3-5, rainbows 4-6, cory 6, Harley rasboras 6-8, German blue Rams 2, Bristle nose pleco 1

#1: one each JD FM Sev and 4 silver dollars, and some syds

euglossa

AC Members
Nov 9, 2006
For the community scheme a large school-8 to 12 congo tetras. They get along with everything, get fairly large, are colorful and very active.

I have 8 in my 75, along with one angel, a pearl gourami (looking to fill out a trio), rummynose tetras, corys, otos and german blue rams.

I saw a recommendation for an african community tank somewhere on the web; congo tetras, butterfly fish and upside down cats. That would make an interesting tank. I wonder if you could add an elephant nose to that bunch?

Ellen

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
Have you considered discus?

I'd say go with 5 of them, 16 rummynoses, a pair of GBRs or gold rams?

Lukee

*Legend*
Jun 23, 2007
Aussie Land
4-5 discus
8 bleeding heat tetras - lemon tetras- haliquen
4 gbr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store