how do i cure 90lbs of live rock?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chirojosh

AC Members
Nov 24, 2006
Okay I dont have it yet, still in the planning process. Im setting up a 75g FOWLR. I plan on getting the live rock from liveaquaria. I'll be getting (2) 45lb boxes. How should I do it, just buy all 90 lbs and throw it in at the same time? I know I shouldnt cure 45, then add the other 45 uncured right? How should I go about doing this? Oh and there wont be any fish in the tank until all 90 lbs has been cured.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Just fill your tank with water to the correct SG, then put your LR in, and let it run for a while. The die off should start your cycle, and eventually your tank will be ready to roll!

chirojosh

AC Members
Nov 24, 2006
so I can add all 90 lbs at the same time then? nice I thought it would be more of a pain in the arse

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Naw, as long as you aren't adding fish right away, fill up the tank, put in some sand, some rock, whatever, and let it sit for a while, then start monitoring your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Should get a goodly amount of ammonia, then it should subside, then nitrite, then it should subside, then nitrate, wait for it to come down a bit, do a water change, and you'll be ready for fish before you know it.

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
Personally I would use trash cans and air stones. You can fit 45lbs of live rock in a 32 gallon trash can, comfortably. Curing rock can be messy, especially if you're trying to clean it out of the bottom of your tank.

Do 100% water changes twice a week until you get 0's across the board for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I used 120 lbs of uncured live rock..put in the tank with proper sg and let it run like it was set up for FOWLR.(sans the fish of course)

I did not do any water changes for 4 weeks until the tank was cycled..then did 50% water change.

it might be different for cured LR but if the tank is not inhabited and this is true cured LR the die off is used to feed the bacteria and the mini cycle should be short lived.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I cleaned my rock with a scrub brush and a bucket of saltwater before putting it my tank to cure during the cycle.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Personally I would use trash cans and air stones. You can fit 45lbs of live rock in a 32 gallon trash can, comfortably. Curing rock can be messy, especially if you're trying to clean it out of the bottom of your tank.

Do 100% water changes twice a week until you get 0's across the board for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite.

I'd do the same, I'd not want the smell in my house.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Hmm. I had no smell at all when I cured mine in the tank. My ammonia levels were off the charts for about a week, though. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store