Are Clowns just more ichy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tikidude

AC Members
Jun 12, 2007
SC, USA
It seems I have seen a lot of posts lately, on here and other boards, about clowns getting ich. Are they just more prone to it or does it just seem they are.

I was going to put a clown in my tank, but if they are more likely to catch ich, I would rather not. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I know I need to quarantine and I have a tank for that. Just curiousity.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
I think clowns are one of the more hearty fish...

Of course, they're also one of the more common fish, and also one of the first fish a lot of people get...before they learn to QT. ;)

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
I agree with Subliminal. My clowns were the first fish I added to one of my tanks and they survived with the whole tank coming down with ich, more than once. The clowns showed minimal to absolutely no outward signs of it compared to the others.

missc4

Fishy love
Mar 14, 2007
VA
My clowns have never got ich even though my hippo tang tends to get it off and on.I don't remove her from the main tank though she is healthy and it leaves on it's own..She hasn't got ich in awhile and she had growed alot so maybe if I am lucky she is over the look at me funny and I will get ich thing..lol

Magpen

AC Members
May 18, 2004
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
I would have to agree with everyone else. My clown hasn't ever had ich even though my hippo has had it twice while in the tank with him. My clown is also my longest lived fish at 3+ years. I think it might just be perception that clowns seem to be getting it more.

Tikidude

AC Members
Jun 12, 2007
SC, USA
thanks for the replys. I was just curious and it sounds like perhaps it was just coincidence that I was reading about more of them.

Batmanjay28

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Oregon
I have a cown right now that as two little ich spots on it's side.....going to see what happens....going to QT next time for sure!!

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
There was another thread a few days ago that discussed ick-attack. I've done some reading on it before and the only thing that has been reported on the product is that it may cause an algae bloom in your tank. To the plus side you can treat a whole tank, corals included and don't have to QT. I have purchased a bottle to keep in my "sick kit" if I ever get ich in my tank. I figure its worth a shot.

Here is the thread if you care to read what was posted.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121438

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store