Brown jelly disease

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Well about 10 days ago I bought a mushroom rock with about 9 "neon" green shrooms on it. Since I don't QT my corals (don't have a good excuse not to but I'll probably start soon) I put it directly in my DT.

Friday night I went to bed with everything looking fine. Saturday I woke up to the brown jelly infection on the entire rock with 4 of my mushrooms just gone. I've only ever heard of this but never knew too much about it.
Information is somewhat hard to come by and I cannot find a specific latin name for it that most of the sites agree on.

The symptoms? Literally a brown jelly-like substance covering your coral. It looks like mucus and it spreads over the coral FAST. It can kill a coral in a matter of no time and is highly contagious and can spread to your other corals. Also, I read it smelled really bad- like death. Well that was definitely true! As soon as I took it out you could smell the tissue necrosis. It had a foul rotting smell.

What they say to do is to first syphon off the brown jelly as much as you can, then frag the spots that aren't infected yet, and to give it an iodine dip- Lugol's was highly recommended. Some recommended a freshwater dip but I tried that and it didn't work (I don't like putting corals in freshwater and I'll probably never do it again).

I manually cleared all of the jelly off and put the coral in a QT. It was back by the next day with only 2 polyps remaining. I called my local pharmacy and they said you can only get Lugol's by prescription? I had no idea and they said they were out of generic iodine too. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure the last 2 remaining polyps will be gone by tomorrow, if not tonight. All of this since Friday night and I couldn't be here the majority of the weekend.

From now on I will keep some iodine stored in case this happens again. I just thought I would share since it's not typically discussed.

From what I've read the actual causes are not known. One site suggested poor water quality while others stated there is not enough information. It is bacterial. All my other corals are fine and this was the most recent one that I bought.

Although a small loss of money I learned more about something than I ever wanted to. :)

Just thought I'd share. Pictures to come!

Thoughts? Personal experiences?

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
Nov 29, 2002
ST.Louis Area
Visit site
I see all kinds of disease and infections with corals, mainly from poor handling as I believe they were collected in good health.

For brown jelly, I remove as indicated and treat in QT with antibiotic amoxycillin 500mg per 10g per day for 3 days or eurthomycin, same dose.
I add lugol's for 30minutes after cleaning in separate container.

QT of live rock, corals, fish is crucial. Check my threads here at AC for dip procedures or my site for more info. Every coral needs to be dipped and inspected prior to being added to a tank. KNow the inverts natural predator/parasites so you know what to look for. I assure you brown jelly is one of the least problems. There are much nastier vices lurking!!!!

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Oh I know there are nastier and worse things. I just thought I'd share as I don't usually see this as a common occurrence. The place where I get my corals from keeps them separate from the fish although that's not the brightest reasoning, as I said, I don't have an excuse not to QT them.

I cannot get meds before Thursday and it's pretty much dead now anyway. I still find the whole thing interesting. How do so many have access to Lugol's when it's prescription? Or is that a state by state thing?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store