Sick mollies? Ich? What's going on?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kaosfere

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
Chicagoland
I've been noticing several non-happy-making things in our new 35g recently. We have three mollies (one black, two dalmation), six danios, two dwarf gouramis, two very small loaches, and one rainbow shark.

Three days ago, one of our dalmation mollies started shimmying intensely in the tank. After reading about a number of the things that could cause this, I tested the water, which looked nominal, and did an immediate 15 gallon water change.

The next day, he hadn't improved any, so we went out and bought a 10g tank to use as a hospital. I added 2T of aquarium salt to it, and we put the ailing molly in. He improved quickly, and, by last night, was looking much better.

This morning, my wife pointed out that our other dalmation was acting strangely. It was repeatedly rotating in the water until it was floating practically nose-up, then righting itself, only to repeat the process. It also looked generally lethargic. Since the other molly was looking better, I put him back into the tank to see what would happen, and took the second dalmation out.

Almost immediately, the first fish started shimmying again.

Concerned now, I started investigating the tank a little more closely. On several of the fish, I noticed what, to my inexperienced eye, might be the "salt" spots of ich -- very fine white flecks, mostly on fins. I netted a few of the fish I thought I saw spots on, but, when out of the water, examining them under a raking light, I couldn't see anything but smooth skin. The water was a little stirred up from netting out the second molly... perhaps they had odd bits of debris on them? ...

Also of note is that the second dalmation, who is of a mostly-white tone, has some odd blue marks behind his gills. Additionally, our plain black molly, who was one of the first fish in the tank, seems to be behaving normally, as do all the other fish.

I'm at a loss. I can keep the two seemingly ailing mollies quarantined for a bit. The way the first one immediately went back to shimmying when I put him in the main tank indicates that it might be something to do with water quality. But everything tests OK... 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10ppm nitrate, PH 7.4ish, 76 degrees.

And then there's the matter of the maybe-ich. Any thoughts? What should I do? Begin treating for ich? Keep the mollies out a while and treat them (for what?) seperately? Swing a rubber chicken over my head?

I feel like something's definitely not right, but I'm not sure what. :help:

kaosfere

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
Chicagoland
The spots? No... they're most obvious on the clown loaches, when the light shines through the tail, as little specks in the body of the fin, not on the edge.

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
if it is itch (white spot) treat them you can treat them in the same tank as it wont harm the fish.

you will however after keep repeating the prosses for a while as the beasts can only be killed when travelling from fish to fish or to plants.

and there eggs cant be penitrated by the treatment either.

but saying all that with white spot the fish usualy just shimmer on the gravel or the rocks to relieve there itch!

stress would generally bring it on or from a new addition, plus mollies are quite subseptible to it more often than most.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
turn the temp up at least 3 degrees... this will weaken the ich and break the ich reproductive cycle... see if that helps by tomorrow. then slowly/gradually increase the temp in the tank (like 1 or 2 degrees a day )

we had similar problems with our mollies until we put salt in the tank and turned up the heat.. they now live between 80 and 82 degrees. and are doing quite well.

jonnyfry

safety first!
Mar 20, 2007
macon , ga
if it is ich , it would look like salt grains mainly on fins , flashing is definitely a sign too . clown loaches are known to get ich very easily . try the heat and salt method first .

did you introduce a new fish or plant in the last couple of weeks?

it will take atleast 2 weeks to get rid of it as that is the length of the ich cycle at 85* . and you should treat the tank for atleast a week after youve seen the last white spot .

you will have to treat the whole tank not just certain fish .

kaosfere

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
Chicagoland
Thanks, guys. After looking at the loaches again this evening, I'm pretty certain it's ich. Now that I'm not in a hurry to get at work, they have a very definite dusting of white spots on their bodies and fins that shouldn't be there. I don't really see any signs of it on any of the other fish, but if it's on the fish, I know it's in the tank, so I'm going to treat the whole tank, as you say.

I'm creeping the thermostat up, and I drained out 5 gallons of water when I got home from work and have spent all evening very slowly replacing it with 5 gallons of conditioned water with 7 tblsp of salt (1 per every 5 gallons in the full tank) dissolved in it. I'm keeping an eye on the loaches to make sure they don't have a negative reaction. So far, so good.

Once the water has quiesced a bit, I'll put the other two mollies back in, and see how they do.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store