Goldfish gasping at night?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Comet

AC Members
Apr 1, 2003
Singapore,North
Visit site
I have quite a number of fantail in my 29g tank, and some ranchu in an temperory 3g tank. All of them seems to gulping at the water surface. And they only do it mainly at night. I thought it was lack of oxygen so I added airstone but it still not work. What causes this, is it part of there feeding habit?

avoxo

FORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2003
North Providence, RI
Visit site
Hi Comet, how many goldfish do you have in the 29-gallon, the 3-gallon and how big are they?
They could be gasping because they might be overcrowded. If the tank has alot of decaying food or waste, it will also use up alot of the oxygen in the water and that will make them gasp. Do they gasp after they’re feeding? If you are overfeeding goldfish they will gasp at the surface to help push the food through their digestive tract, try smaller feedings. If you have plants or lots of algae, it will take in the oxygen at night and the goldfish will gasp.

Last edited:

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I agree with avoxo, it might be a lack of oxygen or overeating. Another consideration is that your pH might be dropping very fast and heading for a pH crash. Fish gasping at the surface is a one sign that this is happening. Also if you have a fair amount of plants and this is happening only at night then it could be that the plants are not supplying the oxygen that they do when the lights are on, as well as consuming some of it during these hours.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store