Have you seen this sump design video?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gaspar

AC Members
May 15, 2007
There is a very interesting sump design video that I ran across somewhere last week [?!] and forgot to bookmark. A professional tank design guy who
is - I think - from Canada is explaining a custom set up that he is putting together for a clients aquarium. He is showing and explaining how the sump uses a network of white plastic 'egg crate' to make a bottom layer of filter with slow water flow which is covered with a layer of 'geotextile?' fabric. Live rock is placed placed on top of this fabric. The sump incorporates a large protein skimmer. The video was attached to a post on one of the reef
aquarium boards and there were a few follow up posts commenting on the video. I have searched and googled all over the net to find this interesting video again. Does this 'ring a bell' with anyone out there? If so PLEASE post the link. Thanks for reading...

AshtonMitchell

AC Members
Aug 11, 2007
i agree awesome vids.

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
Personally I don't like the sump design at all. Since he used egg crate as baffles there is no definite control over water flow, water direction, or water level. The constant water level in the return section of a sump is a key factor in maintaining proper salinity with an auto top off.

Not only that, but he's running a UV sterilizer after the return pump so any 'pods returning to the tank will be killed. The UV sterilizer is to keep the aiptasia from spreading to the tank, well it will spread throughout the sump killing all the hard tube worms he's trying to farm.

A better approach to farming aiptasia would be to have a pump in the first baffled section of the sump pump water through a fluidized bed filter or a Phosban Reactor containing the aiptasia then run the UV sterilizer after that, instead of after the entire sump. That way you will be able to greatly limit the spreading of the aiptasia but still get all the benefits of the sump.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store