55 gallon with built in overflow. What else do I need for starting sw set-up??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Letsgometsreyes

Registered pet D-fender
Sep 27, 2006
Ok heres the deal, I got a aga 55 gallon with a built in overflow. I also have a sump with bioballs, filterfloss and a sponge and a 48" single bulb strip light with a marine glo actinic 40 watt bulb. what do I need to start a FOWLR set-up. thanx

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
A reliable water source. RO/DI is the best. Probably available at your LFS or sometimes at the grocery store. Might want to look into buying an RO/DI unit.

Unless you want your tank to look stark blue, probably a new light tube. Probably a 10K daylight tube or Trichromatic.

Live Rock. It will provide most of the filtration that you will need. Approx 1-2 lbs per gallon.

Aragonite sand. It will help with buffering. Approx 1-2 pounds per gallon. It really all depends on how deep you want your sand bed really.

You'll probably want to ditch the bioballs. You'll get that suggestion from many on the forum. The theory is that they will become a nitrate factory and increase your Nitrate levels. I'm keeping mine in for now because I have hit a financial wall. I am still waiting to see ANY Nitrate levels in my tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store