built-in overflow design questions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
so i posted in the newbie forum that im looking to get a 30gal long with build in overflow...

i have had some questions regarding the overflow and design and bulkhead size/mounting height and whatnot...

so here is my question...

the overflow is going be a 4"square, (two walls being black acrylic, and the other two being the back wall and left wall of the tank...

anyway... i think it will be a toothed overflow, and i was wondering where i should mount the bulkhead... if im correct, the bulkhead is just a peice that connects the hose to the tank... so where would this be mounted.. at the bottom of the overflow, middle, top, etc... also, do you attach something to the bulkhead within the overflow to prevent the suction sound??

and how do you match up a pump to return the water back to the tank from the sump??? ive heard of head pressure, 4' head pressure.. and all sorts of stuff...

i just want a quiet overflow... is this possible?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Are you drilling the tank yourself, or does it come drilled? My 55 came pre-drilled, so the bulkhead was mounted where the hole was, in the bottom of the tank. there are actually 2 bulkheads, one for the overflow and one for the return. The overflow has a durso-style standpipe that comes up about to where the top of the overflow walls are.

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
mine is from all-glass aquarium... they said they will make it to my specs... was your bulkhead in the bottom piece of your tank or near the bottom on the side.... that makes more sense, otherwise you have to drill through your stand....

where was yours drilled exactly?

and my return is going to be two bulkheads spaced along the top of the tank with adaptors to increase the flow power about 4x...

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
It's actually drilled in the bottom glass. The stand doesn't have a full bottom so there was no drilling required there. Its a Perfecto tank and stand. In mine the drain and return holes are both in the overflow compartment, so there's a piece of pvc that comes up with 2 jets on it that just goes over the top of the overflow wall.

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
40 - 50mm or 1.5 - 2". This will give you quite a high flow. It is also better to over compensate the hole as you can restrict flow on the return to the tank with a tap to keep the water level consistent in your over flow and reduce noise. Also, you can find some ridged plumbing tube which will fit in the bulk head top, you cut it to a length which goes at least half way up your over flow, drill big holes on the bottom, and make the holes smaller as you go up. This will prevent fish going down, stabilize the water level, reduce noise and prevent blockages.

Also, if you run high flow and position your returns (spit returns back to the tank) and this will serve you with cheap in tank circulation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store