My goldfish are acting sluggish..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaeryu

Registered Member
May 20, 2007
Firstly, I've got two goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. They used to be happy fishies who swam around the tank, rushed to the top when it was feeding time, behaved nicely and followed each other around. Now, both fishies are very sluggish. They hang around the bottom, float more than swim, and don't get excited when it's feeding time anymore. I've got a filter, I keep up with the cleaning, and my thermometer reads around 74F. I feed them once daily, a couple pinches of "Hikari Wheat-Germ" goldfish pellets. Is the tank too hot for them? Are they getting underfed or overfed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I apologize if this is in the wrong forum!

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
What species of gold fish are they, comet or one of the japaniese fancy goldfish?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i think your problem is the small tank size. do you test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? how often do you do water changes, and how much do you change? i suggest you look at any of the other "goldfish problem" threads in this forum and see what people have to say.

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
Goldfish may seem like they are small. but they get big, and they are messy!!! because they were probably born at a temp close to that it shouldn't be that. so i see three awnsers. 1:we need water arameters to solve this one. and 2:they are in way way too small of a tank and it is seriously affecting them. or 3:they don't have enough oxygen. to figure this out water conditions and type of filter would help alot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store