Betta vs. Dwarf Gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ara35

AC Members
Aug 10, 2006
I am still alittle split on my decision. i swear its the last question. should i get.....
2 female bettas
1 male betta
Dwarf gourami

its for a 15 gallon tank
and yes there will be plenty of room for any of these options

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
I look at it this way:

Male betta is better if he's going to be alone.

Dwarf Gourami is better if he's used as a centerpiece fish, with a small school also in the tank (neons or cherry barbs). Using a betta for this invited a lot of fin nipping.

I won't address female bettas, since I don't know much about them,.

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
Female bettas have this pecking order so try to get your female bettas at the same time. This way, they already know each other and won't fight to establish a new pecking order which could easily kill the newer female betta.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
If it were me, I wouldn't trust a betta with any tetra. So I would go with a dwarf gourami. The cories work with both.

EDIT: and by 'trust a betta' I mean trust that his finnage would be ok

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
if i were you i'd go for the dwarf gourami... interesting fish, and beautiful colors, as well as easy to get along with for tankmates

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
If it were me, I wouldn't trust a betta with any tetra. So I would go with a dwarf gourami. The cories work with both.

EDIT: and by 'trust a betta' I mean trust that his finnage would be ok
Not all tetras are nippy. Serpaes, black skirts, red-eye, penguins and bloodfins are the ones likely to nip but there are exceptions that can be applied. Rummy-nose are fine but they would actually prefer a longer tank to roam around.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
I had 8 neons in with my betta, I now have 1 betta. So from my experience I would say no betta.

Just my 2 cents,

Gin

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
even some "nippy" tetras can be pretty docile, as long as you ahve them in a proper school. my six black skirts dont nip any of my other fish; but they do nip at eachother alot.

female bettas can be just as unpredictable as males. some are very peacful, while other are just as aggressive as males.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store