feeding eels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dustbust_1

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
OK so I got this Eel (G. Tile) right. Ive had him for about a week in a brackish water aquarium(sg .008) with some puffers. He is 13 in long. In 4 days he polished off 1 pleco, 2 golfish and 1 dragonfish. Only the puffers and gobie were smart enough to survive. I am feeding him 2 frozen salad shrimp a day. I am wondering if this is enough, or should i feed him all he will take and binge feed him kind of like a snake(lots of food once a week). On the other hand my tank is far to small (30g saving for a 75 bow front)is he killing for territory? I guess in general if someone could tell me their eating habits that would be great. I would like to own some more fish someday and move them to a salt aquarium.

Thanks

Sir Pufferfish

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
UK
don't know anything about eels sorry but if i was you i would rehome the puffers asap ( guess you have more than 1 ).
tank is well overstocked, either they will kill each other for room or the water quality will kill them.
30gal to me is just enough room for one puffer !! as they are messy feeders
and overload your filter so make sure you are also doing plenty of water changes

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Plecos don't belong in any salt of any kind. It is possible that the fish that don't belong in BW were weakened by the stress of the salt & couldn't get away. Dragons are too slow to get away. If the eel attempts to eat the puffers, it could be poisoned by them. Also, it is possible the puffers could nip at the eel. What kind of puffers?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Also, that must have been a really tiny pleco or it just died because of the salt. I don't see a G. tile eating a pleco.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Also, that must have been a really tiny pleco or it just died because of the salt. I don't see a G. tile eating a pleco.
I just now seen this thread and I will not ask questions on live stock or so, but will say that if the pleco is real small and the eel is hungry, this eel can prove your thoughts on what isn't possible to a more realistic outcome on the rules of nature.

This eel can easily feed on all fresh or live meaty foods. For on the feeding, you might try ghost shrimp, black worms, and most pieces of fish.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Really think it could eat a whole pleco, even a small one? Mighty spikey meal.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Yes I do as long as its small enough to be taking in as its prey for no matter if it isn't a true eel, it still knows to take its prey in head first and all those spin fins as you think helps protect against all predators will become much clear to folks as yourself to know that in either the oceans or freshwaters, the only living water species with no known enemy to stand to it, is the killer whale.

You name it, for even the bluering octopus even have no defense if it cannot put its bite on its attacker. I seen many things and heard of many things that is unthinkable to believe if one not can witness it.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I saw a 7' green moray eat an 18" parrotfish. It grabbed it from it's side & did a spinning/death-roll thing & when the sand had cleared, the fish was in it's mouth head 1st. Swallowed it whole. You could see the fish still wriggling in it's torso, as it swam away.

Last edited:

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
I saw a 7' green moray eat an 18" parrotfish. It grabbed it from it's side & did a spinning/death-roll thing & when the sand had cleared, the fish was in it's mouth head 1st. Swallowed it whole. You could see the fish still wriggling in it's torso, as it swam away.

Pufferpunk, With your response, you follow my meaning within the rules of nature :cool:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store