Have I done something wrong?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

garlinto

AC Members
Jul 19, 2007
A few weeks ago I started a fishy cycle and am now done with it. However, my water readings are kinda weird so I wondered if all is well:

Code:
pH: 8.0
NH3: 0.00
NO2: 0.00
NO3: >0.00
I'm glad to see that the ammonia and nitrites are at 0.00ppm, but so are the nitrates. For the last 5 days or so, I've tested 0.00ppm for both ammonia and nitrites, and nitrates have gone steadily from close to 5.0ppm to now just a hair over 0.00.

I have live plants in the tank. Could they be consuming the nitrites? The water is crystal clear and the fish are active and eat voraciously. The tank is a 10G with a load of 7 small fish: 4 otos, 3 plattys, and one betta.

Any ideas?

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Plants do take in nitrates, so that's a likely possibility.

garlinto

AC Members
Jul 19, 2007
Ok, so do the fish need some measurable amounts of nitrates, or is it ok if there are no nitrates present?

Can I go ahead and add more fish?

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
what is the level of planting in the tank? if the tank is very heavily planted, it is likely that your cycle will not be measurable.

if the tank has a few sparse plants, they are not the cause and you need to look into your cycling methods.

fgump

AC Members
May 17, 2007
Utah
Ok, so do the fish need some measurable amounts of nitrates, or is it ok if there are no nitrates present??
The lower the level of nitrates, the better. Fish don't need nitrates at all, and in high doses is bad for them.

Also are you using strips or a liquid test kit to test the water? The strips aren't accurate at all, and can read 0 even if it's not really 0.

garlinto

AC Members
Jul 19, 2007
I use the reagent test kit and test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH levels nightly. I do agitate reagent #2 for the nitrates test for 30 seconds as directed on the back of the nitrates color card before I add the drops to the solution. I also agitate the vial after all the drops have been added for 1 minute before I set it down to wait the 5 minutes for the test to complete. Is this correct?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
And if heavily planted, you may end up needing to add nitrates.

garlinto

AC Members
Jul 19, 2007
And if heavily planted, you may end up needing to add nitrates.
Well, I tested again last night and I'm measuring zeros across the board again, but nitrates are somewhere between 0.00 and 5.00ppm. So with load I currently have, the nitrates are just barely staying ahead of the plants.

I plan on increasing the amount of fish in the tank so this should help keep my plants healthy too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store