Maroon Clownfish acting strange

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mosthated

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
I have a small Maroon Clown for about 1 year now, he has just recently started acting a little funny, he keeps swimming down in the sand and fanning it all over the place, he is the only clown i have so i know its not eggs, is it? could this be some kind of try to rid himself of a parisite? he looks fine.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Probably a she by now but that isn't what you were asking. I'm frankly a bit suprised you haven't seen her do this before, clowns often move the sound around a bit like that. Kind of what they'd do if they had an anemone or coral as well. If you don't see anything else wrong with her I'd not worry about i t.

mosthated

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
i see, SHE, must like the new pool sand =) lol the old stuff was a bit more ruff and heavy.. thats for the info.
You think it is a she by now? i thought the females would grow larger, it has been the same size since i bought it. she is pretty small, about a 1 1/2 MAYBE 2 but i dont think so.. shes about as big around as she is long lol.

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Mine does it quite often. I'm forever "raking" the sand back down when she creates little dunes! It's like she has a cleaning routine and only seems to do it by her Xenia.
Hahaha. I could definitely see a clown doing that. Mine used to make a nice little dent in the sand next to the side of the tank. She doesn't do that anymore though (ever since I got my hairy mushrooms). Now she spends the rest of the day knocking the curious little drawf crabs off "her" hairy mushroom rock. They fall pretty gracefully for an animal with its home on the back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store